Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove my original 8 track radio from my car. In the old days I could remove the sloted "washer" retaining nut using a screw driver, but these are really on tight. Is their a tool to help me remove these. If so, where can I find one. I've done a google and haven't come up with one.

Thanks for any help,
John

·
Registered
176 Posts
Do you have your console out yet? Because you need to remove the entire center console anyway, I suggest you do that and then pry at it at home.

I just bought a new center console (USD 55,-), adapted it for DIN with my dremel and replaced the original with 8-track and all.

Benifits: I can allways go back to original, I can safely 'practice' cutting on the new console and I don't have to carefully fight with the 8-track because I might break the console.

By the way: I too had a go at the washers/retainers, but they didn't give.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Although I have ordered a new console, I don't want to break the current one. The radio "slotted" washer nuts are actually screwed onto the console and they are holding them on. Are you suggesting I can pry the console off without breaking it? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You need to make yourself a little spanner tool. I made this out of a piece of heavy "L" channel (the kind with holes every inch). File and a hack saw does the job.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I need! I'm surprised there isn't a pre-fab tool to buy for that. But, maybe I can make what you have here. Thanks!

·
Registered
536 Posts
That's what I need! I'm surprised there isn't a pre-fab tool to buy for that. But, maybe I can make what you have here. Thanks!

Years ago you could buy a special socket looking tool to remove those nuts, I think parts express or MCM electronics sold them. Not as much of a demand anymore so I think they dissappeared.

It kind of resembled this home-made rig I found on the internet...

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I just recently took my console and center cluster out, i just used needle nose longer and skinnier the better and off came the nuts no problem.

Kevin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried the long nose pliers as well, but the nut didn't budge! That tool is exactly what I was looking for. I thought some of the restoration and collector car parts resources would have it, but I haven't found one yet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I tried the long nose pliers as well, but the nut didn't budge! That tool is exactly what I was looking for. I thought some of the restoration and collector car parts resources would have it, but I haven't found one yet.
You could use a piece of 3/8-1/2" tubing and file two teeth on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts