Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give some advice on removing the radio in a '73? Ran into a snag. I have the small side panels off and the radio is completely loose but wont push back far enough to slide out the backside. It seems there are 2 studs and nuts on the inside of the front black panel just below the knobs of the radio that hold the that black front panel in place preventing it from coming off so the radio will come out the front side. Can feel the nut, but getting a socket or wrench on it seems impossible.
Anyone been successful with this? Would appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
The original unit must come out the back of the bezel.

I find it easier to remove the stereo with the center cluster bezel. Remove the bezel trim screws; loosen the nuts on the studs far enough to clear the console reinforcement. Unplug wiring and antenna; unplug wiring and illumination light on the back of the cluster. Take it out as a unit.

I used a swivel on my ratchet to reach the nuts on the studs.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike - thats for replying. Thanks to the help of LL Vette, we got it out. The front passenger panel being removed really was the difference. Turns out the radio is good and the speakers are not. Now just have to replaced speakers, which means removing the driver's side front panel. Yikes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts