Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a similar problem. The radio or cd will play for a min then a loud pop and it shuts off. I have replaced the radio, speakers and amp but still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Rod
360-521-8380
C-5

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can only guess

Since everything else has been changed, it has to be a fault in the power supply.

Is this a stock radio? IF not , it might be something as simple as someone tapped into a wrong power source and a safety feature is shutting off the power to the radio. There are a bunch of possibilities, and in the posts I read, many bad choices for a radio power tap.

IT sounds like a possible short, something is triggering a protection circuit, since it always triggers in the same way and resets repeatedly.
Could be worn insulation , loose wire, I suspect the brain doing the power cut might be in the computer, and if the fault is there, good luck.

I am not qualified to give this kind of advice, just trying to help , and not exceed my skill level , which is low.

THe bright side is that I have no idea if the safety breaker on your radio circuit is in the computer, and is malfunctioning, causing the problem. All I can do is guess , but it sounds like a protection circuit is being tripped , the most common reason would be a short ,look for signs of burns , anything that looks unusual.

It could also be power demands above what the circuit can provide, but that unusual, guys with big radios post other problems, not power feed.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,413 Posts
Another question to ask is if it has just started or was it gradual in coming

1 - 3 of 3 Posts