Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a means to refresh the raised white letter on the sidewall?

Even though these letter have always been on the inside of the tire, they are faded yellow.
How to make them [lasting] white?

BTW: they are Kelly Charger 245/60R15

Thanks.
Cor

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Just wanted to see what people tell you, since I'm going with the same white raised letters for my C3.;)

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Well .........back in the days of my C3's, I used Westley's Bleach White and or a SOS pad.............don't know if it is even made anymore. Strong stuff that cleaned White letters, but keep it off your wheels.

I would think Adams All Purpose Cleaner Degreaser and a good stiff (fingernail) scrub brush would work. Nothing I own has White letters or sidewalls anymore.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I use a lot of laundry soap powder in a little bit of water and a heavy bristle scrubbing brush and scrub HARD on them , they come up a bright white .Then clean the rest of the car.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Westleys bleach white is what I use. I'll clean the whole tire with it. Since your letters are yellowed, you might try the bleach white plus the SOS pad(s). You'll probably have to do this several times. If ya clean regularly they won't yellow...

·
Registered
972 Posts
Its like a piece of steel wool with a cleaning agent attached to it. Comes in maybe a 3x5 box,bright blue letters SOS, you can find it at any grocery store(originally used for pots & pans)

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Westleys bleach white is what I use. I'll clean the whole tire with it. Since your letters are yellowed, you might try the bleach white plus the SOS pad(s). You'll probably have to do this several times. If ya clean regularly they won't yellow...

That is a beautiful car....:surprised

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
westley's and a stiff bristle brush (plastic bristles)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I use Plexus. It's actually a plastic cleaner I use for Clear Bras. One day I had some on a towel, I tried it and it was amazing. It hasn't been that white in years. It works great on the tires too. It won't yellow the OWL either. I found it to be the cheapest on Ebay. Not cheap but it goes along way.

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/about.html

·
Registered
552 Posts
Cleaning whites that have been turned in will require some form of abrasive like steel wool to get the grime and probably the last of the original blue protective film off.

After that first steel wool cleaning, don't be suprised if it takes 3 or 4 cleanings with protectant in between to get em really clean. The secret is protectant, because it will penetrate grime, then normal cleaners will remove the protectant.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Well .........back in the days of my C3's, I used Westley's Bleach White and or a SOS pad.............don't know if it is even made anymore. Strong stuff that cleaned White letters, but keep it off your wheels.

I would think Adams All Purpose Cleaner Degreaser and a good stiff (fingernail) scrub brush would work. Nothing I own has White letters or sidewalls anymore.
Westley's Bleach White. I've used it for decades and nothing whitens like it does. And I have never noticed any long-term damage to the tires even though it is obviously a very strong chemical. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Bleach White and SOS pads should work on most discolored letters, but if the bleach white and sos pads don't work, sand the face of the letters with 220 sandpaper. :thumbsup:

The white color is down in there quite a ways.
The discoloring is just on the surface.

:cheers:

If the tire has white letters or white walls, the white rubber is molded into the side of the tire. Everything is white under the outer layer of black. Raised whites are just white walls with a layer of black molded over the top. Don't sound so sporty now...do they? ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ahhhhhhhh, that's a tip!
Because all the products listed earlier, which all too familiar to you guys, are obviously not available over here, hence I thoped someone would give some generic chemicals...
But fine sandpaper grit 220, that's what I understand!

And on top of that, I just guessed that the white color was put on top of the letters, but now I know it is still white, deep down under the surface.
Thanks all for your efforts

Cor

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Ahhhhhhhh, that's a tip!
Because all the products listed earlier, which all too familiar to you guys, are obviously not available over here, hence I thoped someone would give some generic chemicals...
But fine sandpaper grit 220, that's what I understand!

And on top of that, I just guessed that the white color was put on top of the letters, but now I know it is still white, deep down under the surface.
Thanks all for your efforts

Cor
Just don't get carried away. :laughing:

:laughing::thumbsup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It works!!:partyon:

Just a shot of the "work in progress"

And that is just with a piece of sandpaper, without any further cleaning

Thanks for all the good hints