Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which one is bettter ?

1-Corvette Vortex Rammer Cold Air System, BPP, With Black Cover, 1990-1996 in Eckler's.com Item# 39536

2-SLP Performance Parts Cold Air Induction Packages
in summitracing.com part # SLE-21028

3- K&N cold air rammer

·
Banned
97 Posts
which one is bettter ?

1-Corvette Vortex Rammer Cold Air System, BPP, With Black Cover, 1990-1996 in Eckler's.com Item# 39536

2-SLP Performance Parts Cold Air Induction Packages
in summitracing.com part # SLE-21028

3- K&N cold air rammer
I have the slp and I hate it. It is extreamly heavy. It is made out of metal. If you look at the pic.of it. It looks really cool with the 3 filters on the end, it does increase the air flow b/c the car makes that hard sucking sound now. But, I just can't get over how damn heavy it is. I dont think k&n makes the whole cold air induction for a c4., and I dont know about the votex

·
Registered
541 Posts
Have you thought of the Forced Air Induction System part#609-189 in Mid America it seems and looks like it catches alot of freakin air like a true Ram Air. I have never seen anyone with the set up though...

·
Registered
441 Posts
In my own testing over the years, both on the Dyno and dragstrip.....I've yet to see a cold air induction system or rammer type for the C4 corvette that yields a true advantage over just running a K&N filter with the cut lid mod, and replacing the lousy acordian style intake tubes with the smooth ones......and I also agree the SLP unit sucks.....It's heavy (expensive for what it is) and the metal tubes retain engine compartment heat heating the incomming air which IMO, defeats the whole purpose of a cold air intake.....I have also tried it back to back on the dyno and at the track....ZERO detectable difference in torque and horsepower, and ZERO detectable difference from a 30mph and 50mph roll...and with the SLP unit in place, I actually always had a bit slower MPH going thru the traps in the quarter which could have been a coincedence, but it definately wasn't helping anything, thats for certain......total waste of cash..................Joe:thumbsup:

·
Banned
97 Posts
In my own testing over the years, both on the Dyno and dragstrip.....I've yet to see a cold air induction system or rammer type for the C4 corvette that yields a true advantage over just running a K&N filter with the cut lid mod, and replacing the lousy acordian style intake tubes with the smooth ones......and I also agree the SLP unit sucks.....It's heavy (expensive for what it is) and the metal tubes retain engine compartment heat heating the incomming air which IMO, defeats the whole purpose of a cold air intake.....I have also tried it back to back on the dyno and at the track....ZERO detectable difference in torque and horsepower, and ZERO detectable difference from a 30mph and 50mph roll...and with the SLP unit in place, I actually always had a bit slower MPH going thru the traps in the quarter which could have been a coincedence, but it definately wasn't helping anything, thats for certain......total waste of cash..................Joe:thumbsup:
:agree: well said Joe

·
Registered
724 Posts
:agree: I definately agree with JOEB. Like he said, replacing you original filter with a K&N and opening up the air cleaner lid someway is the way to go. Instead of cutting the top out of mine like everyone else does, I drilled 39, 3/4" holes in mine and installed plastic hole plugs with the centers cut out to dress the holes out. Look at my pictures. The holes that are cut in the front, are offset in between the ones on the side. I haven't done the smooth air inlet to mine yet, but had planned too. If anyone has one they want to get rid of, let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts