Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you service your Corvette (e.g., oil and filter change), do you use ramps or a floor jack and jack stands? If you use a floor jack, what point do you lift your car from?

The 1996 Service Manual shows it is OK to use a floor jack on the front crossmember. I used to lift my '77 this way and later found that it dents-in the crossmember. Anyone with a C4 discovered any problems lifting it there?

If you use ramps, what keeps the ramps from slipping forward as you drive onto them? Never used ramps with the '77 because the ramps slipped as I attempted to drove on.

I recently added a 1996 Corvette to my collection and don't want to repeat mistakes I made with the '77 back when I first bought it.

Thanks!

·
Cleaner than Stock, Faster than Phock
708 Posts
Both,,,use ramps in front on stads in the rear

I pull the car onto ramps that are held in place by a 2X4 with two bolts going thru the wood into the concrete.

Then I lift the rear with a 4-ton jack and put it on 3.5 ton stands,

Great access. Just make sure you block the rear of the front tires if you raise it in the rear so it wont roll backwards

Then when I let it down I just lower the rear hyd-jack and back off.

It works so well my wife does not to come out and make faces! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
348 Posts
i use jack stands regularly but used ramps once. if you get ramps with too steep a slope, the front spoiler hits the ramps. thats the problem i had when i used them but i didnt have any issues with them slipping once i figured out how to get the car on them. with the jack stands i lift the car nascar style. hasnt caused any dents in my frame or anything, just make sure the jack in centered on the frame and lift. after that the jack stands go under the lift points marked near each wheel. its worked great for me so far.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
ltborg said:
i use jack stands regularly but used ramps once. if you get ramps with too steep a slope, the front spoiler hits the ramps. thats the problem i had when i used them but i didnt have any issues with them slipping once i figured out how to get the car on them. with the jack stands i lift the car nascar style. hasnt caused any dents in my frame or anything, just make sure the jack in centered on the frame and lift. after that the jack stands go under the lift points marked near each wheel. its worked great for me so far.
With the car lowered, ramps are out of the question!

I have a friend with those plastic ramps that he swears by, but I am not getting under any car held up in the arir with plastic!

Steel jack stands under the A-arms is how I go. I also jack from the side, until I get the car up enough to reach under the cross member (front then rear). I jack from the cross member with a piece of wood untill its high enough to get the jack stands where I want them.

·
Registered
462 Posts
RF Hayes said:
I have a friend with those plastic ramps that he swears by, but I am not getting under any car held up in the arir with plastic!

I jack from the cross member with a piece of wood untill its high enough to get the jack stands where I want them.
I don't trust plastic ramps. I made my own ramps out of wood.
I have jack stands, but I don't fully trust them either.
Once jacked up I like using wood blocks to hold it up.

·
DC Crew
32,928 Posts
I use jack stands. The biggest problem I have with them is your jack point is the same place you want to put the jack stands. It's a bit of a PITA. I just put the car up the shake the S**t out of it and then go to work.

·
DC Crew
1,452 Posts
raidmagic said:
... shake the S**t out of it and then go to work.
Ahh Yes, I see its the international shade tree moto!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
MY88VTE said:
I don't trust plastic ramps. I made my own ramps out of wood.
I have jack stands, but I don't fully trust them either.
Once jacked up I like using wood blocks to hold it up.
Steel jack stands versus wooden blocks :surprised

There is nothing safer than properly used STEEL jackstands except tires and I would give the edge to the jackstands on that one, every time. Most places I have worked called them "Saftey Stands"

·
Registered
9,867 Posts
IS IT WORTH CHANGING YOUR OWN OIL

with all the good name express oil and lube places they use the pit aproach here its realy a celler so they can get out for safty they don jack so even if your slammed its accesable

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
the 1st time i changed the oil i drove mine over the ditch and layed it the ditch:)

·
Premium Member
17,452 Posts
raidmagic said:
Have I told you lately I hate you?:nuts:
:smack :smack

How about some info on the white car UNDER the rack.
Actual its Primer gray..Its a 1953 chevy with a nova 10 bolt rear end(with powertrax locker), 700r4 trans powered by a sbc 383 stroker with a small holly blower on top. Its my daily driver.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
iburke said:
I got tired of laying on my back.

Waitress, I'll have what he's having!

Unfortunately I have a two car attached garage with just enough vertical space to use jack stands or ramps. If Extreme Makeover Home Edition ever visits, I'll show them this picture for what I'd like in an ideal garage. Hey Ty, you out there?

·
Super Moderator
8,620 Posts
the question almost always goes like this

"whats the proper way to safely work under the corvette? the ramps I have skid away from the tires as I try to roll up on them, and the jack scratches or dents my cross member, I can,t get the floor jack under the corvette, where do I place the jack stands, how high should the vette be?ETC."

lets talk
jack stands first, need to have a wide base and allow significant under car clearance to work, I can and do HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting 4 of these JACK STANDS as they are significantly larger and stronger and far harder to tip over than the average auto parts store JUNK most guys use

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34924

yeah I KNOW your first idea is , the 6 ton stands are cheaper and the corvette only weights 3500lbs so why the 12 ton stands???? trust me here!!! the 12 ton stands allow both a significantly larger under car clearance and they have a much wider base making them MUCH safer, spend the extra few bucks!!! its well worth it!! and the jack stands need to be placed solidly on the frame in four widely spaced locations, I normally use the locations chevy suggests in the user manual , but two widely spaced on the front (K) member and TWO on the rearv frame seems ok also

if your going to get under the car SAFELY you need QUALITY jack stands, a QUALITY FLOOR JACK and RAMPS to allow you to roll the jack under the vette!

if your like me , and own a C-4 corvette (I OWN 3 C-4 corvettes) youve more than likely found that a typical floor kack won,t roll under the corvette unless its up on ramps first and that RAMPS tend to skid away from the tires as you try to drive up on them
heres the solution
first buy the (4 )12 ton jack stands, so you can work under the vette safely
buy these ramps
http://www.autobarn.net/rodi/usm11905.html
they are light weight plastic but rated at 8000 lbs (you only use them to get the jack under the corvette NOT YOU! and to keep them from sliding away from the tires the solution is simple, you buy 0ne 36" long rubber mat, cut it into two 36" long and 10" wide sections and CONTACT CEMENT/GLUE them to the rhino ramps so that about 18" is on the concrete in front of the ramp and 18" is glued to the upper surface of the ramp, so the vettes tires are on the mat before the car starts to go up the ramp thus TRAPPING the ramp in place as the tire starts up the ramp useing the vettes weight it self

next the floor jack, youve got lots of choices but get a good one!
sears has a reasonably good quality 3 ton floor jack that comes with two jack stands( these you can use to support the trans or rear end while the good 12 ton stands support the vettes frame) it costs about $99 I have two in the shop. and that frame dent problem is easily avoided if you GLUE a 6" x 6" X 1" thick section of old truck tire thats FREELY available on most interstates as BLOW OUT SCRAP to the jack pad with contact cement!

http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products...loor jack,lp--1,mkt_id--16867906,rf--fwa.html

remember its your BUTT/life thats under that vette and if it falls your the guy getting squashed like a bug! think ! do it correctly

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
grumpyvette said:
the question almost always goes like this

"whats the proper way to safely work under the corvette? the ramps I have skid away from the tires as I try to roll up on them, and the jack scratches or dents my cross member, I can,t get the floor jack under the corvette, where do I place the jack stands, how high should the vette be?ETC."

[/B]
My stuff:

1. Low profile jack

2. Instead of ramps I have two of these, it doesn't take much longer to jack the car up to get the floor jack in place than ramps and they are easier to store. :)

3. This is my electric jack for on the road. It fits very nicely under a A-Arm and lifts a wheel clear of the road for removal, repair and replacement.

·
DC Crew
32,928 Posts
iburke said:
Actual its Primer gray..Its a 1953 chevy with a nova 10 bolt rear end(with powertrax locker), 700r4 trans powered by a sbc 383 stroker with a small holly blower on top. Its my daily driver.

Wow what a nice DD. Maybe sometime you could throw some pics and info up in the other cars section so I can drool over it:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts