Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Re: IS IT WORTH CHANGING YOUR OWN OIL

cosmo said:
with all the good name express oil and lube places they use the pit aproach here its realy a celler so they can get out for safty they don jack so even if your slammed its accesable
IMHO, there is no such thing as a "good name express oil and lube places" Having a pit does not make them any better either.

Wrong fluids, over filled or not filled at all and leaks galore seem to be the SOP at these places. My Son worked at one of those places for a few months last year and tells me they are your worst nightmare!

My own experiences with them back up his observations enough for me that, I know now that no car of mine will ever see the inside of one of those places again!

·
Registered
9,867 Posts
Re: Re: IS IT WORTH CHANGING YOUR OWN OIL

RF Hayes said:
IMHO, there is no such thing as a "good name express oil and lube places" Having a pit does not make them any better either.

Wrong fluids, over filled or not filled at all and leaks galore seem to be the SOP at these places. My Son worked at one of those places for a few months last year and tells me they are your worst nightmare!

My own experiences with them back up his observations enough for me that, I know now that no car of mine will ever see the inside of one of those places again!
i let my dealership change oil i let my private tech change oil when igot another thing for him to do /i just cant be bothered with oil changes T M O O =cosmo

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Re: Re: Re: IS IT WORTH CHANGING YOUR OWN OIL

cosmo said:
i let my dealership change oil i let my private tech change oil when igot another thing for him to do /i just cant be bothered with oil changes T M O O =cosmo
I will sneak in an oil change in (and a lot of other work) right out in the parking lot when ever I can, but the managment here forbids working on cars in front of your apartment, so the dealer gets most of my oil changes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have used the Rhino ramps and think they are fine for getting under for the oil change. For lifting the car to put on jack stands, I use the ramps + a floor jack with a piece of lumber between the jack and the crossmember. This leaves the spots for the jack stands free and I haven't bent anything.

As for the question concerning is it worth it to do your own oil change, I say yes. Not because I have had any bad experiences with oil change shops but I always crawl around underneath while the car is up and spend time looking around under the hood while I am dumping oil in. I feel like it keeps me in touch with whats going on and gives me a chance to spot issues that may need attention.

Besides, I get to hang out in the garage.

·
Super Moderator
8,620 Posts
NOWS the chance to get the 12 ton jackstands 1/2 PRICE, normally there about $70, (a pair) now they are priced at $38 on sale, trust me these are far better than the cheap junk most auto parts stores sell, it one of the few parts that really make working under a car far easier and safer that the cheap crap I see most guys useing

[url=http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/s...398&R=19398[/url]]http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/s...398&R=19398
[/url]

Ive got 6 of those 12 ton jackstands in the shop I paid full price for!, place one at each corner of the cars frame and its much more safely supported than the pressed steel , plastic or sheet metal stands I see comonly in use

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Finally got it up, the '96 Vette that is.
-----------------------------------------------

Rhino ramps would have hit the front air dam. The '96 must be a bit lower than the '85 at the front. The ramps should work great on my other cars, so I'll keep them.

I bought two scissors jacks (technique like RF Hayes) from Auto Zone and used them to raise the car to get the floor jack under the crossmember. The scissors jacks were placed just front of the "front jacking points."

I used the floor jack to raise the car until I could place jack stands on the same metal frame piece as used by the scissors jacks, but closer to the catalytic converters.

To lower the car, I plan to raise the scissors jacks to a level that removes the load from the jack stands. I'll then lower the car using only the scissors jacks. Visually it looks tempting to lower the car with the jack stand, but it would destroy the air dam if I made that mistake.

So far, I have not attempted to rasie the rear. Though, I would probably use the scissors jacks alone for brake work -- when I do not need to get under the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the 1st time i changed the oil i drove mine over the ditch and layed it the ditch:)
Yes, that will work pretty well in a pinch.. I do that with my Tundra when off road and i need to check something under the truck. I ought to build myself a drive-over pit on my property... as long as I stabilize the sides so they won't collapse.. and gravel the bottom with enough room to comfortably do a lube as needed. .My friend changed his oil on a trip by driving up on a curb... (just collect your used oil and recycle it).

·
Super Moderator
2,008 Posts
Yes, that will work pretty well in a pinch.. I do that with my Tundra when off road and i need to check something under the truck. I ought to build myself a drive-over pit on my property... as long as I stabilize the sides so they won't collapse.. and gravel the bottom with enough room to comfortably do a lube as needed. .My friend changed his oil on a trip by driving up on a curb... (just collect your used oil and recycle it).
Welcome aboard! The post you replied to is 18 years old, I don't believe that person is still around.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts