Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been kicking around buying a set of ramps for normal maintenance on my 87. I have an awesome jack and stands now but just wanted to hear everyone chime in on using ramps vs. traditional jacks. I am also interested in which ones and were you bought them from as well. My vette is lowered so I am curious which ones would work well. I have seen race ramps but there kinda pricey.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I hate to be "that guy" but kinda pricey and this hobby don't really go well together. I mean would you trust your life and car to a cheap set of ramps?
Maybe you should build some of the 2x12 wooden ramps some people on here have done. Inexpensive and safe.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Good idea Raid, about the wooden ramps. Stager each

board by a foot or two.

I had them when I was working on a lot of 4X4s.

Heavy duty jack stands are safe too.

Safety first, ALWAYS.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ouch,,, just asked a question on which ramps and what's your opinion on using them. Yes you are that guy but then again I asked. LOL, I've been using jacks and stands but wondered about going to jack stands but allot of questions with the vette's height.

·
Registered
126 Posts
There are other ramp options. Seem to be a bunch of plastic ones that I would run from..:thud: As far as building your own, that can be done..if you know what you are doing..and have lots of extra time.
I find myself buying more stuff all the time just because of time..just don't have much extra anymore :down:

Ramps take up a lot more room in the garage
Quick and easy way to get the front in the air
More expensive than "good" jack stands
Easier to work underneath car with
I will think of more
Gary

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gary, I am going to keep looking at ramps. Yeah they do take up allot of room in the garage..

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Here's a link to the thread I was speaking of. click me Again not meaning to be a dick but look at how much you have invested in your car then tell me a few hundred dollars is too much to spend to work on it. Honestly.

If you don't want to spend the money build the ones that are in the thread above. I don't think you can get safer than that. If you really want to do it up check out a Kwick lift. Those are awesome and made for short ceilings.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I built a set from 2x12's similar to the ones in the thread that Raid attached. The distance between each consecutive board is a bit longer than the ones shown but that was just by choice (to have intermediate levels). A stop on the end is critical in my opinion since you can't see and you are guiding the car up by feel. I really like them although the downside is that they are heavier than I thought they would be. I used some nylon rope attached to the ends as handles and I use those to slide them around to avoid lifting them. Although they take up space, they do stack well inverted on each other.

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
I have used the Rhino Ramps for a number of years and tried them ONCE with the Vette. I'm a "larger" guy ;) and quite honestly, the Rhino's just didn't get it up high enough.

Long story short…

I needed to replace most of my cooling system over the recent holidays, which was going to include a new Opti-Puke. I dreaded the thought of going under the car again, so after a few days of research and contemplation, I finally decided to spring for the new 2-piece, 67" long Race Ramps (P/N RR-XT-2). I was able to get a brand new set of ramps, shipped "factory-direct", from a guy on eBay for $279.00 w/FREE shipping!

Yes, they are "pricey" but to be honest with you, it made getting under the front of the car a breeze, even with my larger girth!. I am VERY satisfied with them and HIGHLY recommend them. As a matter of fact, I can't wait to save enough money so I can get the optional Roll-Ups to get a little more height.

Once the car is up on the ramps, it'll be MUCH easier to put it on 12-ton jack stands using a regular trolley jack. Otherwise, it is just too difficult to locate a low-profile jack that will fit under the Vette AND lift it high enough to get it on the stands.

JMHO :cheers:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Cheap alternative is car rims. They come in all diff widths (heights). I know this may sound a bit "South Texas" but hey it works, I like to use them for long term projects, that way I dont tie up my Jackstands.
Of course this only works if you plan to leave the wheels on!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It sems the race ramps are the winner!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts