Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just how good are the Ram's horn exhaust system? I figure the engineers in Detroit had to take the performance of the exhaust system into consideration when they built the Corvette. Are full headers really that much better? What advantages does long tube headers have over the stock Ram's horns? Inquiring minds want to know....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Full length headers are ALWAYS better then logs or shorties.

Scavenging is what you are looking for with a really good set of "tuned length" headers. Also, HVMC is a fantastic option if you can find them. Kooks makes some awesome SS tuned length headers with HVMC.

Don't get me wrong, shorties serve there purpose...like clearance and smog issues, but Full Length headers are always going to be a better option.

If you get a cam with a good intake to exhaust duration, you can make a lot of power with a "shortie" type header...but Full Length (usually called "Long tubes" or "LT's") headers will always net you more power with great top end when matched with a good H/C combo.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
just as an example, I gained 3 inHg manifold vacuum at idle going from the stock ram-horns and glasspacks to the 1-7/8" primary Hooker sidemount headers with no mufflers. Part of that is due to the rest of the exhaust, but I have no doubt that opening up the primaries clearly had an impact :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks...what does HVMC stand for?

High Volume Merge Collector

Its where all of the tubes meet up, usually under the car and is where the rest of the exhaust bolts up too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts