Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was leaving a car show last night with the wife and on the cruise home a Black SRT8 Magnum come wiping out of a parking lot right in front of me:D So i watched him and played tag with him and get this his plate said something along the line of Come get some:D Oh...I GOT SOME...a couple of times:devil: First, he nailed it from a roll at about 30 and i was behind him and man i will say there stock exhaust system sounds AWESOME,but anyway, i new he was gonna do that, so i did the same and came up behind him and then along side of him and pasted him:nuts: So we were at the light and he was asking what liter my car had and told me he traded his C5 for his new SRT8 and how it has 425hp and a 6.1 liter. We both gave the :thumbsup: `s up, and then light turned green and we went from a dead stop.....It was over, before it even began,they don`t get off the line well...from a roll, the car did good for what it is and its weight, but NOT from a stop. Hope you enjoy... I DID !:cheers:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I was leaving a car show last night with the wife and on the cruise home a Black SRT8 Magnum come wiping out of a parking lot right in front of me:D So i watched him and played tag with him and get this his plate said something along the line of Come get some:D Oh...I GOT SOME...a couple of times:devil: First, he nailed it from a roll at about 30 and i was behind him and man i will say there stock exhaust system sounds AWESOME,but anyway, i new he was gonna do that, so i did the same and came up behind him and then along said of him and pasted him:nuts: So we were at the light and he was asking what liter my car had and told me he traded his C5 for his new SRT8 and how it has 425hp and a 6.1 liter. We both gave the :thumbsup: `s up, and then light turned green and we went from a dead stop.....It was over, before it even began,they don`t get off the line well...from a roll, the car did good for what it is and its weight, but NOT from a stop. Hope you enjoy... I DID !:cheers:
They need to put the R/T AWD in those cars.

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
For a heavy ass commuter car, those are pretty cool. You'll never see Corvette #s out of them, but they at least aren't FWD V6's with 160HP.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't believe he got rid of a vette to get a Tank!:thud:
:agree: I was thinking the samething, tho it was a nice ride and his exhaust sounded WAY BETTER than our stock exhaust. For a heavy tank it moved right along when he nailed it at a roll, but from a stop the extra weight killed its performance.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I just got a 300C SRT8. Its pretty fast but the weight advantage of the Vette is key. The 300 weighs almost 4200 lbs and it takes a lot of grunt to get its significant heft moving from a stop. Once it gets into its powerband though, it moves really well. A lot of guys are getting high 12's out of these cars bone stock by wringing them out in terms of driving/launching. I'll have to say that the car is very fast from a rolling "nail it" perspective.

BTW, I sold my 05 Z51 coupe to get this car. I loved my C6 but it was always in the shop. It had to go.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got a 300C SRT8. Its pretty fast but the weight advantage of the Vette is key. The 300 weighs almost 4200 lbs and it takes a lot of grunt to get its significant heft moving from a stop. Once it gets into its powerband though, it moves really well. A lot of guys are getting high 12's out of these cars bone stock by wringing them out in terms of driving/launching. I'll have to say that the car is very fast from a rolling "nail it" perspective.

BTW, I sold my 05 Z51 coupe to get this car. I loved my C6 but it was always in the shop. It had to go.

:thumbsup:
Yeah, the Magnum did well for the weight at a roll but its no comparison to the C6 Corvette and the weight differences:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The nice thing about the hemi motors is that they respond well to mods. Diablo has a flash tuner coming out soon thats supposed to put 30+ hp/tq to the rear wheels. It seems that these motors are fairly computer blunted. I've noticed that if you drive the SRT8 softly, the computer re-adapts throttle response and tranny shifts to be softer. If you drive the car more aggresively, it seems to wake it back up again. A CAI, cat back exhaust, and a tune usually are good for 40+ rear wheel HP in these cars. I plan on getting the Diablo tuner when it comes. This should put these cars consistently in the high 12-very low, low 13 range. Not bad for a 4100 lb sedan under $40K.

By the way, there are a few bone stock SRT8 300's on the Chrysler forums that have timeslips of 12.5-12.6 at 110+ mph. These are probably freak Monday built cars but are still pretty impressive. One guy had a 12.46 with the only mod being a set of Toyo Proxes.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The nice thing about the hemi motors is that they respond well to mods. Diablo has a flash tuner coming out soon thats supposed to put 30+ hp/tq to the rear wheels. It seems that these motors are fairly computer blunted. I've noticed that if you drive the SRT8 softly, the computer re-adapts throttle response and tranny shifts to be softer. If you drive the car more aggresively, it seems to wake it back up again. A CAI, cat back exhaust, and a tune usually are good for 40+ rear wheel HP in these cars. I plan on getting the Diablo tuner when it comes. This should put these cars consistently in the high 12-very low, low 13 range. Not bad for a 4100 lb sedan under $40K.

By the way, there are a few bone stock SRT8 300's on the Chrysler forums that have timeslips of 12.5-12.6 at 110+ mph. These are probably freak Monday built cars but are still pretty impressive. One guy had a 12.46 with the only mod being a set of Toyo Proxes.
They must of had GREAT 60ft`s... Maybe 1.5-1.6 60ft`s to attain those numbers with the weight:thumbsup:

·
Registered
403 Posts

Chrysler for years has used computer programming particularly for the trans. that adapted to a persons driving habits. My first experience with this was in 95 when I worked for a dealer in concord NH.

Rick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts