Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Washington (CNN) -- Embattled Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-New York, walked out of his House ethics subcommittee hearing Monday morning, complaining that he has not had sufficient time to hire a new legal team to respond to corruption allegations.

The subcommittee members continued meeting behind closed doors.

"Fifty years of public service is on the line. And I truly believe that I am not being treated fairly," he declared. "I deserve a lawyer."

Rangel told the subcommittee he has already spent $2 million defending himself from the charges, and had been advised the hearing -- similar to a trial -- could cost him another $1 million.

He complained that he was not being given enough time to raise funds to hire new lawyers because the committee was rushing to complete its work before the conclusion of the current lame duck Congress.

Rangel's original defense team left him in September.

"What theory of fairness would dictate that I be denied due process ... because it is going to be the end of this session?" he asked.

Ethics committee chair Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-California, replied that it was Rangel's responsibility to assemble his legal team.

"Retention of counsel is up to the respondent," she said.

Rangel, who has served in the U.S. House of Representatives since the 1970s, stepped down as Ways and Means Committee chairman after a slew of ethics allegations. Rangel faces 13 allegations, include failing to pay taxes on a home in the Dominican Republic, misuse of a rent-controlled apartment for political purposes and improper use of government mail service and letterhead.

House Republicans and some House Democrats have called for Rangel to resign because of the alleged ethics violations.

In August, Rangel said nothing "will stop me from clearing my name from these vile and vicious charges."

Rangel also offered explanations for the ethics charges against him, characterizing them as mistakes and acknowledging violations of House rules but denying they amounted to corruption.

"It's not corrupt," he said when responding to assertions that he used House letterhead to approach possible contributors to a university policy center in his name. "It may be stupid. It may be negligent, but it's not corrupt."

Regarding an accusation that he used a rent-controlled apartment as a campaign office, Rangel has said he did nothing wrong but was "insensitive to the appearance of being treated differently."

"I plead guilty of not being sensitive," he said.

Democratic Rep. Maxine Waters of California is also scheduled to have an adjudication hearing with the House ethics committee this month, on November 29. Waters has denied the allegations against her, which include steering federal bailout money to Massachusetts-based OneUnited Bank -- in which her husband had a financial stake.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
:laughing:

Here comes the change Obama promised! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I read last week that Rangel had planned to represent himself after his last group of lawyers quit. Now he wants to delay because he doesn't have council? Give me a break. :crazy:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I read last week that Rangel had planned to represent himself after his last group of lawyers quit. Now he wants to delay because he doesn't have council? Give me a break. :crazy:
Looks like Rangel has realized the investigating committee means business and that maybe he has a bit more to hide than he originally admitted. :laughing:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
This POS should have never been re-elected little lone a landslide :smack and this investigation would be a mute point :lookinup:

Its voters like these that make me wonder if WE even have a chance in putting morality back in government:crazy:

·
Registered
710 Posts
F him. He had no issue finbding time to campaign over the last 6 months. Now he needs time raise funds and to assemble a legal team. HA! He knew this was coming. This is the type of arrogance that the public is growing sick of from Washington. I say Lets get this done ASAP, then trow the book at him. I've soooooo had it with these out-of-touch elected officials.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
F him. He had no issue finbding time to campaign over the last 6 months. Now he needs time raise funds and to assemble a legal team. HA! He knew this was coming. This is the type of arrogance that the public is growing sick of from Washington. I say Lets get this done ASAP, then trow the book at him. I've soooooo had it with these out-of-touch elected officials.
:agree: And like Walleyfisher says, what kind of voters want MORE of this kind of corrupt leadership? This ethnic voting that sees nothing but skin color and is completely blind to the ethics of the candidate is amazing to me. Surely that district has some potential candidates who could work for the needs of its voters and still be ethical and legal in the way they operate. Amazing. :crazy:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
No, he fired them. And he did it so he could delay this proceeding. If he can delay this until the new republican majority comes in, then he can play victim and claim racism, etc.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
:agree:
Waters too.

·
Super Moderator
8,547 Posts
theres a ton of evidence against this guy over many long years, its absurd, that he gets to (WALK OUT) even temporarily hes had YEARS to hide evidence , change his books, bs his accountants etc.and by now hiding the truths is like trying to pack 40 lbs of crap in a 5 lb bag at this point, to try to hide what hes done for years, this guy needs to spend the rest of his life in jail---preferably in Somalia, where hes unlikely to get as many perks
if any of the average people were charged with this much corruption we would be shuffling back to a cell in leg irons and cuffs

http://ethics.house.gov/News/Read.aspx?ID=163

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/29/nyregion/29rangel.html

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
:agree: And like Walleyfisher says, what kind of voters want MORE of this kind of corrupt leadership? This ethnic voting that sees nothing but skin color and is completely blind to the ethics of the candidate is amazing to me. Surely that district has some potential candidates who could work for the needs of its voters and still be ethical and legal in the way they operate. Amazing. :crazy:
There was a candidate, Michael Faulkner, a black conservative republican... I think he got 4 or 5 votes.

Yes, republicans do campain in harlem.

It's strange that they support so vigorously the same party that prevented them voting in the South, and that filibustered against the Civil Rights Act...Them dems sure know how to sell out...

If the dems have been running things in Harlem for 60 years and doing such a good job...how come it's still in decline and has never gotten better?

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
theres a ton of evidence against this guy over many long years, its absurd, that he gets to (WALK OUT) even temporarily hes had YEARS to hide evidence , change his books, bs his accountants etc.and by now hiding the truths is like trying to pack 40 lbs of crap in a 5 lb bag at this point, to try to hide what hes done for years, this guy needs to spend the rest of his life in jail---preferably in Somalia, where hes unlikely to get as many perks
According to a radio report I heard at lunch today, the panel has refused Rangel's request for more time, and in his absence, government attorneys are presenting the evidence against him to the panel. Sounds like his strategy isn't going to work.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
If the dems have been running things in Harlem for 60 years and doing such a good job...how come it's still in decline and has never gotten better?
Because rich, white men keep bringing good, decent guys like Charles Rangel into various investigations and such. Racist bastards..

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Because rich, white men keep bringing good, decent guys like Charles Rangel into various investigations and such. Racist bastards..
:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts