Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems odd to be starting a build thread 3 1/2 years after buying the project car, but here's the story...

I moved to England for work in Feb '09, planning to be gone for three years. I sold the cars I owned at the time and put all of my stuff in storage, including all of my car-hobby gear, thinking that I could just quit my Corvette addiction cold-turkey. Well, 6 months later, I bought a '71 coupe project on eBay and sent it to my father in-law's place in Texas to store until I got back 2 1/2 years later. Then in Jan '10, I couldn't help myself and picked up a '70 convertible project so I could have a matching set; sent that one to my parents place in lllinois. So I get to thinking...why don't I just do a little on the convertible project when I get back to see the folks once or twice a year. Well naturally, the basic project I planned quickly turned into an LS conversion with TK600 5 speed. So, while back in November '10, I send my water pump & ECM/harness off to Custom Image Corvettes for some mods. Simple enough, right?

Fast forward a bit...by Aug '11, I've also picked up a '63 convertible basket case, and I've moved to Italy. My original 3 year assignment is now looking more like a 6 year affair, and I finally face reality that I will never finish any of my projects only getting 1-2 weeks a year of work on them. I start talking to Josh about doing full torque-tube/trans-axle C5 chassis setup under the '63, I find a wrecked C5 Z06 and send it to CIC. Turns out that setup is going to be a pain to work with; so while we're re-thinking that project, I say "to hell with it" and just send the '70 convertible up in Sep '11 for a quick & dirty rebuild.

Yeah...turns out I still can't rein in my ambitions; so the '70 ends up getting the original 2" flares so I can put C5Z wheels ('01 Alcoas) & tires all around. The rear was rebuilt by Gary Ramadei into a 3.73 Super 10-bolt, and we've swapped a T56 in place of the TKO600. (which will now go into the '63 project) It's getting the LS6 motor out of the C5Z, ISIS electrical system, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital gauges in the main pods and a double DIN touch screen head unit in the center. The body is getting a number of cool little touches to smooth it out and de-clutter the look. It's all over now but the actual work...

So, plans change, and I'll be flying back from Italy to Texas for my permanent move on 4 October. Josh is supposed to have the car done and delivered on or shortly after that date. I'm just waiting for Brent's car to get done and out of there in the next few days. (I hope) That was a long story, but after a very long time, it's finally time to start this build thread...This should be a fast & furious build.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Wow, and I thought I had ADHD, lol. You have a lot cool projects going on, I would love to see the progress of each one as they progress.

Riggs

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, and I thought I had ADHD, lol. You have a lot cool projects going on, I would love to see the progress of each one as they progress.

Riggs
LoL...me too! Completely lost my mind on the '63. It's going on an SRIII chassis w/ c6 suspension. No frills on that one; just maximum power to weight ratio and a few body mods to generate some down force at high speeds. My goal for that car is that Mrs. Ranger will never want to go for a second ride in it... :devil:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I call foul:surprised its not fair, Josh needs to make this build go another year at the least. :rolling: just kidding man, you have waited long enough, enjoy. But one thing, this thread is useless without pictures. :spanked:

:cheers:Mark

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I call foul:surprised its not fair, Josh needs to make this build go another year at the least. :rolling: just kidding man, you have waited long enough, enjoy. But one thing, this thread is useless without pictures. :spanked:

:cheers:Mark
Will post 'em as I get 'em...

Here's a little teaser...I went to the Ferrari museum in Maranello a few months ago and saw this for the first time. I had never seen or heard of this car before. It looks a lot like the 308 or 328 GTB (like the Magnum PI car), but it's not...it's the super-car version of that car. Anybody here know what it is?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Last time I was up there at CIC, I spent a fair amount of time staring at that srIII frame. I was going to try to switch it and stick it under my car, but I figured you or josh would probably notice.
Seriously if I had th budget to change one thing on my car it would be to use that frame. That is just a work of art.
They should all be really awesome cars when josh gets done doing that thing he does.
They should be able to run with the big dogs. Like say, a Ferrari 288 GTO, for example. :partyon:
Side note: I did not think there were any ferraris in Iowa city but I heard there was an F40 at a tune day at out local dyno shop. I ran up there and sure enough there it was. I have always loved those cars, but they are even more impressive in person. I was talking to the owner when the kid from the dyno said they could not run it because it was too low to strap down. The guy pauses and says, "I'll go get my testa rosa then". He left and came back with a 512TR and ran it. Yea, that guy was my hero. :laughing:
I would love to spend a day at that museum.
Back on track: keep us posted with the build. We love them, and they all sound top notch.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Winner! 288GTO had a 2.8L V8 putting out 400 HP. The 308 & 328 were very angular cars, but what you can't see well in the picture is how much curvier this design is. Really cool...

By & large, I think Ferrari's are over-indulgent maintenance nightmare's, but walking through the museum and seeing some of he great classic racers and super cars up close is pretty humbling. They have one room with all of the F1 championship cars from 1999 through 2009 or whatever was the last year they won it. Lot's of fun.

Yeah, the SRIII frame is fun to look at. I just hope it's equally fun to drive! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I asked th Ferrari dude where he got the belts changed on his 512. I know that is a frequent and expensive deal. He said he found a place around Chicago that will do it for the bargain price of five grand. Not for me. Perhaps if it had an LSx in it :). Still love those cars though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing yet. Josh is on vacation now and promised that he'd be all over my project when he gets back on the 10th. That will leave just under 8 weeks to finish the build. Can he do it? :huh:

...or will this be the lamest build thread ever??? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Nothing yet. Josh is on vacation now and promised that he'd be all over my project when he gets back on the 10th. That will leave just under 8 weeks to finish the build. Can he do it? :huh:

...or will this be the lamest build thread ever??? :rolleyes:
Oh no, you can't take that title from me! I have the lamest build thread! :thud:
Bill

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I think we met on the other forum and traded some stories as we were both doing rest-mods. I was at Josh's shop a couple months ago and your setup looks great. Hope to see it again soon before you take it out of there.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Nothing yet. Josh is on vacation now and promised that he'd be all over my project when he gets back on the 10th. That will leave just under 8 weeks to finish the build. Can he do it?

...or will this be the lamest build thread ever???

Oh no, you can't take that title from me! I have the lamest build thread! :thud:
Bill

I am having a build thread, for a long while.
It just hasn`t started yet.
Who`s lamer now, huh ?
:laughing:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
WooHoo...We're in gel coat!
Man you're killing me, now I really can't wait to get my 2" flares!! very nice very nice indeed!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Your car is looking good, man. Looking forward to meeting you next week. Just a heads up, though:
1. Don't piss off Corvette Chick.
2. Don't let tony pick your paint color.
3. Don't give josh any Monster after midnight.
If you keep these things in mind, you should have a great visit at custom image corvettes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Your car is looking good, man. Looking forward to meeting you next week. Just a heads up, though:
If you keep these things in mind, you should have a great visit at custom image corvettes. :thumbsup:

OMG that made me laugh!!! Sounds like instructions for owning a gremlin (cute furry creature, not an ugly car). :rolling:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

1. Impossible to commit to this...no man can predict what may piss off a woman at any given time. :WTF
2. Paint choice already made, just not disclosed.
3. Living in Italy, can I assume that "Monster" has the same effects as a double Italian espresso?

Look forward to meeting you too and checking out your ride. I want to see your paint out in the sun light.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts