Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with a very aggravating problem.
I have a rattle sound coming from under the car. It rattles at idle in park, reverse, neutral, and drive.
The rattle goes away when I press the gas. Here's the details:

2006 Corvette Z51
39,000 miles
6 Speed Automatic
Stock engine and transmission

I have replaced all three torque tube bearings, both rubber bushings, the plate that bolts to the torque converter, torque converter, and transmission fluid pump. I also took the car to a transmission shop and had the transmission disassembled and inspected, they found no problems.
Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions as what it could be?
Any help is appreciated.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,451 Posts
If it does in fact rattle in park, put it on lift and get under it with a tube like a paper towel roll or a piece of PVC about 1½ - 2in diameter. If you could get something about 18"-24" it would work well. Put one end to your ear and listen to EVERY square inch of the undercarriage. Good luck with it

Reactions: KennyGS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rattle comes from the torque tube. I've checked it with a mechanics stethoscope.
It's the loudest from the rear bellhousing area. But it's noticeable at the front bellhousing as well.
Being that I've replaced all the bearings and bushings in the torque tube, as well as the torque converter and transmission fluid pump, I don't understand how the torque tube could be the cause of the rattle.
Is there anything else that could cause the torque tube to rattle? Perhaps something to do with the engine or harmonic balancer?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts