Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own two cars right now:
a 1988 325is (which doesnt have a single rattle from interior bits and is one of the most solid cars Ive ever owned/driven. Its like it was cut from a single piece of iron.)
and a 1993 Pontiac Grand Am SE... that rattles worse than a metal can filled with ball bearings in a paint mixing machine on full mix.

I have driven multiple GM cars and have found that they too rattle like... uh... well like the above analogy.

I have NOT driven in a C4 or C5 so I dont know whether or not they share the same rattle trap fate that the lesser models do

I have friends who have driven C4s and they have informed me that they do, ind33d, rattle :)

however they are also heavily influenced by rocksolid German interiors (BMWs, Mercedes, Audis... etc...)

I dont really care TOO much about the rattling (as Ive owned a stripped out 1975 Scirocco and a stripped out 1983 GTI)
but my Grand Am has this one rattle around the defroster vent that makes me want to drive the car off a cliff just to teach it a lesson.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
I notice I have quite a few screws and bolts missing from all over my 87. I went around and tightened the remaining bolts and noticed that just about every one was loose. One of the things on my to-do list when I take out the carpet is take out all the screws and put some sort of threadlock on them so they don't come loose as easy. GM should be doing this at the factory. And speaking of the factory, I've read stories about assembly line workers rigging the cars to make noise as a practical joke. I think one was a bottle left in one of the doors. It's funny but I guess if it happened to me it wouldn't be.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
my c4 rattled like crazy.thats one thing they worked hard on when they made the c5.my c5 still has no sqeeks or rattles.usually cars that handle(not ride like a bmw)will develop rattles.the c4 was really never meant to ride good,is was meant to handle good.if you take the interior apart a little at a time and put thin velvet between parts that rub,use different bolts and things like that,you can get rid of 99% of those noises.that was a major complaint going into the design for the c5.some companys make kits for what i described above.just do some research.i havent owned a c4 for a couple years so icant remember who sells the stuff.good luck or just crank the tunes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hawaii-5-lo said:
usually cars that handle(not ride like a bmw)will develop rattles.
well, the M3 is still considered one of the best handling cars of the 90s (both the original and the E36) and they dont have rattle issues
not to mention they weigh less (E30 = 2800lbs, E36 = 3200lbs)

but Im not gonna bitch and compare BMWs to Corvettes...
my 325is is a wonderful track car for its class (not to mention the $3000 buy in price) and even though its a smooth driver... it communicates plenty of feedback to me to know how to correct my driving. (E36s take a little of that away based on the rear suspension layout)

however I would like to step up to a higher class of track performance (my car does 0-60 in around 6.5 seconds and probably would turn a mid 15 at the track)

not to mention, the sound of a SBC is starting to... uh... get to me.

my mother owned a 1969 GTO 400 4spd for a first car
my dad owned a 68 Tempest
My father has been relegated to crap cars for years (as he always buys what my mother tells him to. [3 Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokees])

Im gonna try to get him into something he lusts after... and I know he loves Corvettes.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have a 1984 w/108,206.miles and to say that my car doesnt have a rattle or two,would be a blad face lie,and to tell you the truth,when i dont hear a familar rattle i think something is wrong.I use locktight every time i replace something in the interrior,and try to look for thing that are a rattle looking to happen.I have driven a C-5,that a dealer wanted me to buy in the worst way,but the road feel for me was all wrong.I like the hard ride Z-51 susspension are noted for,but on a long drive on roads that are not excatly perfect,well it can be down right painful,but that is the price we pay.:excited: :partyon:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
i not going to compair the two either,but i would never own a bmw.i cant remember which model but g.m.sold the c4 rear suspension design to bmw,they didnt want the c5 design because the trany bolts to it.and when you quoted me,i said usually,maybe you got a freak bmw car because plenty doctors at work have squeeks in there bmws.instead of looking for a way to slam me,take another look, point is they make kits for the problem you desribed.and like Kenny said,his doesnt make any noise,and Da Hawaiian Punchs car only has a couple rattles.good luck.aloha.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<shrug>
Im not too worried about the rattles.
just dont want to have the feeling that the dash is gonna fall off in my lap (like most of the GMs Ive owned/driven)

my BMW has had a hard life as a driving school car. owned by a BMWCCA instructor. its an 88 with 203k miles on it. and theres not one rattle (aside from the traditional Getrag in neutral clutch rattle)

you should drive my Grand Am... you'd want to drive it into a wall too ;)

however, if the interior in the Vette is easy to take apart and retighten (which the Grand Am is NOT)
then Ill have no problem
I turn my own wrench :)

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
War Machine said:
I bought the targa velcro kit. That did a great job at stopping the nasty targa squeek I had. I don't even hear the other squeeks anymore since I got the headers and hotcam. :D
how did the cam and headers work out for your car?i was just about to do exactly what you did including the velcro kit.but i couldnt resist the c5 any longer and the c4 was paid off.i would have loved to keep it and have both.:cool:

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
The cam has a nice lope to it. The exhaust sounds YUCK right now b/c the collector gaskets are busted. I have to find time to get back to the shop and get some copper gaskets put in and replace the front y w/ something bigger. I did too many mods at the same time to figure what kind of SOTP I got from the cam and headers, but from all the mods I did, it's definately a different ANIMAL! :cool:

I'd like to get the brakes off the C5 and slap on some Black powdercoated Z06 wheels.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
sweet,im sure the cars performance is right up with todays cars if not better:cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Chapel said:
but Im not gonna bitch and compare BMWs to Corvettes...

<snip>

My father has been relegated to crap cars for years (as he always buys what my mother tells him to. [3 Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokees])

Im gonna try to get him into something he lusts after... and I know he loves Corvettes.
OK, several comments here Chapel.

1 - This is a Corvette list, not a BMW list. I've owned 11 BMWs and 3 Corvettes. If you'd like to hear someone bitch about BMWs, I can surely do that. But this is the wrong forum. They aren't perfect cars, they do have rattles. You can't compare one example and think that they're all like that. Just like your Poontiac, maybe they don't all rattle and fall apart like yours? :laughing:

OK, seriously...

2 - Your Dad needs to start doing what he wants, not what Mom tells him to do. Have him do a cojonnes check.

3 - Is the future Corvette for you or for Dad?

Yes, the C4 will rattle. Just accept that it's a fact, and either buy one and live with it, or find a C5. The C5 will rattle too, but it won't be nearly as bad. They're both Chevys, and as such, they are not made up of the high quality components that you may find in an expensive German car. That said, there is nothing like a Corvette, and you (and/or Dad) will enjoy the experience.

Michael

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the car will be for whoever buys it...
I imagine Ill be the one throwing down the money, but Ill probably let my dad use it mostly.
big problem is the one I had my eye on got sold. :(

also... NOTHING will rattle like my Rabbit...
however the drive was so fun you didnt care. I expect the same from a C4.

however I would LOVE to get a C5...1

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
my vette rattled HORRIBLY

1 - 20 of 20 Posts