Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a rattling noise on acceleration? sounds like it's coming from under the car just about center. almost like a loose heat shield. any help would be appreciated. this is driving me f_ _ _ _ _ g nuts. ( 1998 coupe)
:huh:

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
My dad has a 98 Coupe as well and his does this too. Do you have a Hurst shifter installed? If so, that could be it. But there is also ANOTHER "rattle". Can't help you though, all I can say is that your not alone.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I know this sounds stupid but kick your tailpipe a few times!!
If you hear a rattle it's got a loose clamp or shield or possibly a bad cat conv.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
I had a similar noise,i gutted the cats and all was fine,then a month later,it would rattle at the lower rpms,i took the torque tube apart,removed the inspection plate,finally i said f-it,and took the exhaust of again.There was still alot of crap in there,to big to pass threw the end of the cat.No more noises.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I know the Z06's had an issue with the factory H-pipe and the diameter of the hole used to equalize the pressure in the system.

Is it a rattle or a jingling noise. If jingling, it sounds like the H-pipe.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had the same problem it was the cat's. But here is the good news you have a 8 year or 80,000 mile EPA warranty on your exhaust system.

I had to go to my local dealer and have the shop foreman ride in the car with me to identify the noise. Thay replaced my exhaust from the exhaust manifold collector flange back to the muffler pipe flange at no charge to me.

They should do the same for you.

If that doesent work you may have a LS1 with the undersized pistons ( there are a lot of them out there ) they are known to rattle especially on start up. The dealer can identify if you have them or not by the vin # If the car is still under a factory warranty or extended factory warranty they with tear your whole engine apart and replace them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a new poster that needs some quick advice. Have a manual 04 coupe that has had a persistent rattle both in neutral and in gear when revved slightly (anything beyond 3k rpm masks the sound). It is especially apparant in enclosed areas like a parking garage. I've been bugging the dealer about this at 9k, 12, and 15k miles (every time I get an oil change) but no joy. I have now dug my heels in and am leaving it till fixed. They brought the area rep in to look at it, he replaced the left pipe, still no joy. Now the story I just got was that the rattle is inherent to many C5's and the correction is to replace the crossover exhaust pipe with an X crossover pipe from Borla, and that it is a standard warranty fix. I explained to the rep that I thought he was blowing smoke up my ass, but to go ahead and order the part while I researched the problem. Oh, by the way I would like to mention that I have owned a '97 and a '00 coupe as daily drivers as well, and never had an issue with the exhaust. I've seen some similar issues posted, but can anyone give me the educated gouge on this issue. Thanks--

·
Registered
2 Posts
As an update- Turns out that there is a GM tech bulletin number 1527269, Jingle on Deceleration or Coast Down for 02-04 Corvettes that the dealership found for me. Turns out that for 02-04 vettes (why just those, I don't know), the accepted warranty correction is to modify the equalizer cross pipe. The problem description is EXACTLY as I have described it for the last 10 months - almost word for word. If you have a rattle, I suggest that you have your service center research the bulletin. They put in a Corsa X pipe covered under warranty and the problem has been resolved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts