Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 big block with old hooker headers and side pipes on it. Does anyone know if it is feasible to have the headers re-chromed.

Anyone ever do this before and does it cost less to have them rechromed or just to buy new ones?

The side pipes look to be in good enough shape to leave alone. The headers though look a little rough around the engine and there seems to be a least one small leak where the pipes are welded together at the collector. I figured the leak is posibly where a weld failed and could easily be fixed. Nothing else seems to be wrong with the headers at all. I hate to buy new ones if I could get them re-chromed and the minor leak fixed for a better price. I know these headers fit at least. :)

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Either re-chrome or ceramic coating would probably work. But the question I pose is this: Are the tubes worth the expense of doing either one?

Any corrosion (rust), makes the metal weaker and thins it. Spending the $$ for reworking them might be tossing cash down the drain.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
You are splitting hairs on the cost of rechroming vs buying new. You could have them jet hot coated for reasonable but that isn't as shiney as chrome.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well , what Ive seen from Jegs, new chrome headers are around 1300$. If the headers are in good shape and re-chroming is not close to 1300#, than the price may be a big determinent on what I do. Im a Vette owner with a budget. :)

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
When I looked at rechroming my Hooker headers and side pipes I didn't think it was worth the price because the effort needed to keep them clean was to much. I chose to paint them black and was very happy with the result. Ultimately I took them off and went back to a rear exhaust because I was tired of burning my calfs on them. :laughing:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Well , what Ive seen from Jegs, new chrome headers are around 1300$. If the headers are in good shape and re-chroming is not close to 1300#, than the price may be a big determinent on what I do. Im a Vette owner with a budget. :)
I also have the chrome Hookers and I wish they where just Jet coated. :thumbsup: The chrome is a bitch to keep clean and started to pit up and rust within months of installation. If it where me, if the tubes are still solid, I'd get them sand blasted and find someone local to ceramic coat them. :thumbsup:

Or sell them and put the money toward a set of the stainless ones being peddled on this site for under $1K. :cheers: Much better deal than chrome Hookers.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are splitting hairs on the cost of rechroming vs buying new. You could have them jet hot coated for reasonable but that isn't as shiney as chrome.
Looks like ceramic coated for a fraction of the price. But has anyone done this to the side pipes also so that they match the headers? Anyone have pictures of thier side-piped car with the shiny ceramic coated setup?

thanks

·
Registered
855 Posts
They of course look great initially and are very similar to Chrome being all nice & shinny, but after a few years they turn to a dull grey and the contrast between the chromed pipes does headers drives me crazy. that is why we are going with Josh's stainless steel headers.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Here is a picture of the Jet-Hot ceramic in sliver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts