Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my baffles from JCL. Are they supposed to be a bit loose or very tight fit.? cost me plennnnntttttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
loose

Just got my baffles from JCL. Are they supposed to be a bit loose or very tight fit.? cost me plennnnntttttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!
They do fit loose. They are designed to get the flow moving in the spiral once that happens it will act like a funnel and increase flow.If the baffles fit to tight they can raddle or even make a tone on the side tube. Don't forget you can change the the flow by drilling a hole in the cap. The more horses you have the bigger hole. I have 425hp with a 7/16 holes drilled.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I got them for my 427 sbc, wasn't planning on drilling them out innitially, but maybe I should? It has a 670 lift solid roller in it, think I need to?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I drilled mine out to a 7/8 inch hole. Feels smoother than before during exceleration, and the sound is even better than before. Caught the itch, thinking about making them even bigger.

·
Registered
24 Posts
sts baffles

I drilled mine out to a 7/8 inch hole. Feels smoother than before during exceleration, and the sound is even better than before. Caught the itch, thinking about making them even bigger.

want to really get attention ??
try removing them alltogether and run open pipes lol, that will wake up the neighborhood :thumbsup:

·
Registered
816 Posts
I've done that, but between shifts the rpms drop off far too fast for my liking. The sound was incredible though.:devil:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try it

I got them for my 427 sbc, wasn't planning on drilling them out innitially, but maybe I should? It has a 670 lift solid roller in it, think I need to?
You can always put a new cap on if you don't like it. They are just tac welded on and you can get the cap at any auto parts store just size up a freeze plug.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mine slid right in. Not to tight but not loose enough to where they hung. After installing the allen screws they fit perfect with no rattles. I to am contemplating drilling the cap but My side tubes are stuck tight to the headers pipes. Any tips to getting these things off????

thanks
Wade

·
Registered
24 Posts
tight tubes

Mine slid right in. Not to tight but not loose enough to where they hung. After installing the allen screws they fit perfect with no rattles. I to am contemplating drilling the cap but My side tubes are stuck tight to the headers pipes. Any tips to getting these things off????

thanks
Wade
ive had that problem too..try spraying wd40 in the section they join..wait half hour,,then try wrigling and twisting them..it can be a reaal pain to get them off again..and make sure the bolt is loosened that clamps them on..if that doesnt work..try bying a new set of pipes lol :lookinup:

·
Registered
69 Posts

thanks
Wade[/QUOT

Pound on one of the mounting tabs from underneith with a 2x4 block of wood and a 3# hammer. Spread open the clamp with a screw driver. Also use mucho amounts of penatrating oil for a couple days prior to the hammer.

·
Registered
85 Posts

thanks
Wade
Try a little bit of heat from a butane torch. Just on the side tube, not the header.

Nick

·
Registered
85 Posts
BAD IDEA...it wil change the colour of the chrome :spanked:
ehh? I said a little bit of heat, heating the side tube slightly with a butane torch isnt going to get any hotter than engine exhaust gasses. Heat it just enough to expand the collar of the tube.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts