Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a new Lunati Voodo cam, should I worry about the previous Comp cam springs will handle the Voodo cam.

·
Registered
618 Posts
A guy once upon a time owned a cam company. He got bought by another cam company and designed a famous cam line that everybody knows and loves. Later he quit that company and went to work for lunati and designed a new cam line that was even better than the previous cam line he designed.

Or something like that.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A guy once upon a time owned a cam company. He got bought by another cam company and designed a famous cam line that everybody knows and loves. Later he quit that company and went to work for lunati and designed a new cam line that was even better than the previous cam line he designed.

Or something like that.
yes his name was harold

·
Registered
517 Posts
As long as the springs are of the proper weight & spec to work with your new cam, and not old & sagging, they'll be fine. Just check for coil bind, etc.

·
Registered
959 Posts

Or something like that.
there is a little more to it than that, he didn`t get bought out...he had a little run in with the federal with-holding tax man, thanks to an employee trying to "help". I believe Bullit bought his assets, I have one of the last cams UD ground before the govt padlocked the door....I don`t think the work he did for Holly-Lunati was better that UD,,,just different and I don`t think he is with H-L anymore....but the guy with that infectious laugh "Tim" who used to work for Harold now works for Bullit...at least he did last time I called.
...redvetracr

PS: Harold himself is on a Chevelle site all the time...name UDHarold

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which one did you go with? I went with the 60103 on my SB 400. With a little luck, I'll get to start it this weekend. :partyon:
i went with the voodoo 268 hyd

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm.

Is there a simple way to check the springs weight and height Before I
put the Voodoo in. ?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Awesome,
To check the weight you need a "valve spring weight checker tool" (forgive me, motor guys, I can't remember the official name of the tool!) or at least the called out specs of the springs. You need a balance between the spring pressure (in pounds, or 'weight') to let your valves open & close without putting undue wear on the lifters/cam lobes yet not allowing them to float at higher RPM.
To check coil bind, that's easy. At full lift you should be able to stick a paper clip between each coil of the spring.
Look up the spring requirements for the two different cams and see what the difference is, for weight. But do physically check the coil bind yourself, at least.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts