Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some play in my rear Diff/axle. There is about .015 - .020 play in and out where the red circle is. How serious is this and what could it be?

I've been told everything from major internal problems to just a clip that may need replacing.

TIA

68rat

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means but I've asked this before.

Your range of play is indicative of wear, something that will continue to wear, and the play will worsen the more it's driven.

Right now it's probably not a huge issue, however, it will become one.

The solution is expensive. (Rebuild.) :smack

·
Supporting Vendor
3,779 Posts
Hi Cliff,
I can answer your question. You're referring to Axle or Side yoke endplay. I don't know if GM ever published this spec and I doubt they would considering endplay is the result of several factors.Mostly comes down to wear of parts or setup procedures.

1- POSI setup - both initial and during a rebuild. I have rebuilt plenty of posi's in this era and reused the original yokes again after I setup the posi correctly to my spec's. The later axles, 73-79 were not as good and often are worn down.

2- Axle face wear, as mentioned above the faces are soft on the 73-79's and wear out much faster.

3-Posi case cross shaft holes open. Most times rebuilders will toss out the posi case and replace it with a new loaded case when in fact most can be saved and made better then any new loaded posi.

You say you have 015-020 endplay. That's really not too bad,especially if original. I would be willing to bet that the play is in the posi setup and not the yokes in your case. If the diff is otherwise working well, no leaks, howling, hammering around corners I wouldn't worry about it now. The problem comes in when the yokes wear down enough to grind into the housing boss and then the seal. This would be about.150+ endplay and that much will change your rear camber under loading.

For comparision, when I build a custom posi I machine fit the parts for 005-008 endplay so yours aren't too bad. Enjoy the car, the 65- 68's used weaker posi's and that is more of a concern then the endplay at this point. If you ever hear a clicking sound in the diff it's time to pull it out before it locks up and blows the case apart. A lot of shock loading will cause this.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanx Gary I was hoping you would post an answer. Wish shipping wasn't so expensive :down: or I wuld send it to you when it needs fixing. :thumbsup: May be a road trip is in the books in the future. :D:D:D

I will keep an eye on it and when it makes noises or blows up from too much 'shock loading' :smack I will let you know.

68rat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts