Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Since this is always a favorite here and I'm rebuilding a set of arms now I'll post some pictures along the way.
These are off a 69 BB car and someone has been in there before. I found one strut rod was changed over to the larger head. The right arm was never apart- still had the factory seal and NDH bearings.
The left one had .030" endplay and a new cotter pin- bad sign. The threads were rolled and the inner bearing journal was crap after Bubba hammered the replacement Timken bearing on the journal.

Here is the spindle with the bad journal and threads

Here the race starting to go bad:

Here are the parts of the right spindle.

I used a 20 ton press to remove the parts.

The races in the housing are removed by hammer and drift. There are spots to hit the race and drive it out.

Here is the press setup I use

Here what the front bushings look like- dry rotted and falling out:

Here are those strut rods ends,both arms are bent BTW.

Worked on the arms today. removed the bushings, stripped, washed, and painted with Eastwoods rust encapsulator. This is the 1st time using the eastwood product,usually I use POR15.
Gary

Installed the front bushings this AM. I touch the sides quick on a belt sander to remove any high spots.

Gary

Here are the Right side parts cleaned and ready to set the end play and assemble.

see also: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1229686&highlight=rear+bearings

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some more.

Here is the new backing plate,made int china- of course. This is the first on that fit without any mods to the 4 mounting holes :ack:

I use RTV to hold the pins in place,you have to install the oin before the plate to the caliper bracket or you'll never get it in afterwards. I do both at the same time.

Here's the setup tool with bearings,space,and shim.

Checking end play. I start with the original shim and torque to 100 ft/lbs.

When you know what you need to do you go to your shim kit you bought and use a MICROMETER- dial calipers are not accuate enough-at least not for me.

I have never had one bearing set dialed in with the shim size in any of the kits. If I was doing this all the time all day long I'd have a full set of .001" increment shims in front of me to speed up things. Instead I final fit them using a surface grinder. This setup was final fit to .0018" end-play.

I'll have some more pictures as I finish up this arm.

:cheers: It's now about 60* here in CT so I'm going to work on that &^%&$% aftermarket a/c system :rofl:

Just about finished the right arm. All I have left is to dial in the new rotor. It's out about .006".

Here I used new SS hdwr and Shoes. I usually don;t use the SS shoes because I had a problem a few years ago and had to machine the freaking things to get them to work. Anyway these bolted in ok and matched up to the GM shoes so I gave them a shot. With the backing plate not needing fitting and the SS shoes fitting our Chinese adversaries are getting better :nono:

Here is the "custom tool" I used with my press- any guesses?

Here's another view, I did have to bore out the ID to clear the shoulder on the spindle.

Here's another fancy do dad tool. I call it my spindle holding fixture- old rotor with a flat side cut in to sit flat on the bench while I torque it to 100+ to align the cotter pin hole. Always use new washers and nut too.

Now I need to fit the rotor. I tapped the rivet holes 3/8-24 to use 5/8" socket flat heads to hold the rotor on to the spindle. You don't need to do this but I like to. I like this over rivets because I can get back into the PB if needed without those stinking rivets. This is just about done and I would use it on my car as well as the 69 it's going on. :thumbs:

Well this baby's done. Dialed in the rotor to .001" Total Run Out (TRO)
Same procedures apply to other side. If you have any questions let me know :thumbs:

Gary

Well I hope you guys like this. This is a running post on the other site that I update as I find different things relating to the job.

Gary

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
Hey Gary, thanks for taking the time to condense that whole thread from the other forum! This will be at the top of the list for projects once finals are over in a few days, so I'll probably be bugging you before long. I'd really like to tackle it all myself, but I'm a little nervous about doing so with the limited garage space and equipment available to me. Do you think it's wise for a novice to attemp this, or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts