Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 A4 has around 80k miles on it. It had been giving me starting problems for a long while and I was able to trace back to the ignition switch. So I replaced it and it's working great now. However while testing the car before putting it back together everything was working correctly.

Once I put everything back in it's place my lights are acting weird. I checked codes but nothing is showing up except for the TPMS that are out of battery. These are the symptoms I am experiencing:

1) When I press the break pedal non of the tail lights turn on.
2) Turn signals in front hyperflash, no light at the rear.
3) Headlights work both Low-beam and Hi-beam, but tail-lights do not turn on.
4) If I press down on the brake pedal and operate the turn signal they stop flashing until I release the break pedal.
5) When I lock the car using the KeyFOB the alarm activates on it's own, but tail lights still don't turn on.
6)When I put the car in reverse, reverse lights do not turn on.

I might have pulled on a wire while putting the shift-lock cable back in without noticing.

I will admit that I changed out the hazard switch today thinking it might have been the culprit. It didn't help with the situation, however it did help me with another problem I had where the signal indicator on the dash wouldn't light up. So at least I know it was on it's way out either way.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
8,483 Posts
you most likely don,t want too hear this, but...step one when you buy a corvette, of any year, should always be,
buy a shop manual, or at least down load one, as the paper originals are expensive (BUT WORTH IT)

https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/279476198-chevrolet-chevy-corvette-c5-complete-workshop-service

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/2002-Chevrolet-Chevy-Corvette-Service-Shop-Workshop-Repair-Manual-Set-FACTORY-GM/453449662?goog_pla=1&gpid=177267475261&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o3&ad_type=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-dLjzMjr1gIVjYl-Ch0cIABrEAQYAyABEgJ_v_D_BwE

step two, Id damn sure get out a multi meter and verify all the fuses were good and replace any that were suspect. the service manual will show the part numbers and locations

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com/index.php?threads/multi-meters.3110/#post-71867

lights are rather simple to trace and Id start by replacing any light bulbs and verifying current reaches the lights , if not then youll want to trace the wires back to switch contacts
the service manual will show the part numbers and locations
fuses and grounds and electrical connectors on a 15 year old car are suspect, and should be checked and at least assumed to be in need of being inspected tested and cleaned or replaced.

Reactions: jimlloyd

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply! Thanks for the links for the manuals, I got it and will read it and look into diagnosing the brake lights.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ended up being a splice pack near the transmission tunnel which explains why it worked for a day after it rained, but I was unable to track it down myself since I ended up needing the car in a hurry.

Thanks to every one.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,473 Posts
At least we had a happy ending. Glad you have it working

Reactions: PR'Corvette
1 - 5 of 5 Posts