Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this kit look okay to you guys.
Just came across it,and would like to know if it looks upto the job.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm hoping they will sell the brackets to people who already have the arms. Or else I'll have to copy them :laughing:

Seems like a pretty good design.

I would brace the mount a bit more though.
This is all the info from them.

We are using QA1 Shocks and Hyperco Springs. We only use Hyperco springs b/c they are the most consistant springs on the market.

You can not buy the brackets seperately. The pic will show you that the bracket is welded to the arm but when the production piece are made, it will be all 1 piece. I have 5 sets of the style below.

You will have to drill out the upper shock mount to take a 1/2" bolt. Full instructions are being made up that explain that in detail along with reinforcing the upper mount. These are aftermarket parts on 30+ yr old cars so you may need to help it out a bit if you have a lot of rust. Other than that, this kit is a true bolt-in deal.

The upper part of the shock MAY touch the one of the tubs in the rear behind the seats. There is nothing you can do to prevent this. Some cars sit more to the left and some hit more to the right. Will it affect anything, NO.

You wil notice that the backing plate is cut in half. It's just b/c we needed room to weld when we first started out on this design (there were 2 previous designs). Stock backing plate will not have to be cut like this one.

We have fitted this kit on a couple of different cars in our area. A 67, 71 and an 80. All fit very similar.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm hoping they will sell the brackets to people who already have the arms. Or else I'll have to copy them :laughing:

Seems like a pretty good design.

I would brace the mount a bit more though.
Those brackets have to be in a critical position. From what I've read here and on the other site, what you build could be dangerous.

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
Those brackets have to be in a critical position. From what I've read here and on the other site, what you build could be dangerous.
not really that dangerous. I've had spring bolts snap before and hardly knew anything happened.

Chris is pretty savvy and a good welder.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I designed and built my own rear coilovers years ago and those sold by van steel are almost copies of my setup. I did make a billet upper mount and reinforce the frame with a plate at that location but my setup is very similiar and I have had no issues over the years.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I designed and built my own rear coilovers years ago and those sold by van steel are almost copies of my setup. I did make a billet upper mount and reinforce the frame with a plate at that location but my setup is very similiar and I have had no issues over the years.
You should market some of the things you have built. For example, those rear axles with the big bearings would probably sell.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Strider you also modified the trailing arms for wider tires. Were they the original ones?
I mean not aftermarket trailing arms that you modified for the coil over.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
ACP in Germany were the 1st to do the trailing arm/coil over mod.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Strider you also modified the trailing arms for wider tires. Were they the original ones?
I mean not aftermarket trailing arms that you modified for the coil over.
I started with the stock trailing arms and knotched them myself. I have posted on how to do this a number of times.
I also feel that installing the coilovers is another good reason to do the 6 link. Having the coilover on the side of the trailing arm induces a rotational movement into the arm. Having both a upper and lower link stablizes the arm more then a single lower strut rod

·
Registered
463 Posts
You have a lot options going to coilover suspensions, Guldstrand has one I think etc. This is a modified Greenwood 5 link and Carrera coil overs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts