Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had sent out an thread about noise i had in the rear end as i backed up.I finally went to the dealer.He said they had a bulliten about this.Turnes out that a change of rear end fluid solved it.The service manager couldn't explain it other than to say either the fluid was low or the fluid,needed changing.Just some information for anyone who needs it.:WTF

·
Supporting Vendor
825 Posts
I had sent out an thread about noise i had in the rear end as i backed up.I finally went to the dealer.He said they had a bulliten about this.Turnes out that a change of rear end fluid solved it.The service manager couldn't explain it other than to say either the fluid was low or the fluid,needed changing.Just some information for anyone who needs it.:WTF
That was the first thing we did at the dealer also when somebody complained about rear chatter or rear noise when turning. GM is always changing their posi additive properties. It takes care of the problem 90% of the time. We added a little extra additive than specified and they never came back. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
That is actually the first fix. They change the fluid, if that doesn't work then they change the clutch packs in the limited slip. My '06 had both done. They new clutch packs were pretty noisy for the first 1,000 miles or so, then they wore in.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm about to head back to the dealer...ugh! This will be my second time, so I'm afraid they're gonna replace the clutch packs. Being my daily driver, makes it difficult. Can I request to have the fluid changed out again?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the same noise in my 2007 c6 coupe. I just had the rear fluid changed and I will see what happens... I wonder if this is limited to manual trannies?

I spoke with people wit C5's and this is not an issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had the fluid changed in mine. The noise went away, still gone with over 2000mi. after change. They told me if it comes back they will flush the rear end out, some of the cars came out of the factory with dirty clutch packs. Should that not work they were going to change out the packs. The flush takes longer than just an oil change so they hold off until you come back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
yea, my vette had the same problem only when i was in a gear around turns. the dealer told me this happens on a few vettes, and what happens is the rear end fluid breaks down, so they just have to flush the rear end fluid, and add the additive.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I got kind of lucky. I had a wheel bearing fail on me, and in an attempt to get rid of the vibration, they replaced the whole rear end. Didn't fix the vibration, but the grinding backing up and druing tight parking lot turns is gone now. They eventually got around to the wheel bearing too, so my car is as smooth as it's ever been now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The latest TSB from GM finally addresses the problem. The original problem had nothing to do with bad/defective clutch packs. It was simply a lack of limited slip additive.

Here you go:

Subject: Rear Axle Clunk and/or Chatter Type Noise on Turns (Drain/Refill Rear Differential Fluid and Add Specified Limited-Slip Axle Additive) #07-04-20-002 - (04/16/2007)

Models: 2004-2007 Cadillac XLR (Including V-Series and Export)

2005-2007 Chevrolet Corvette (Including Z06 and Export)

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk and/or chatter type noise from the rear of the vehicle while making turns.

Cause
This condition may be caused by slip/stick of the posi-traction clutch plates due to insufficient limited-slip axle additive. As plates slip and stick, a jumping or jerking feel occurs accompanied by a clunk noise.

Correction
Important: DO NOT remove the differential cover from the rear or the two sides. It is not necessary to flush the old fluid from the differential.

Drain and refill the rear differential fluid using the procedure listed below. Add the increased amount of limited-slip axle additive specified below.

89021677 (89021678 In Canada)
Synthetic Axle Lubricant
Quantity: 2
(3 for Z06 and Export)

1052358 (992694 In Canada)
Limited-Slip Axle Additive

(NOTE) The major difference in this TSB is that you add 2 bottles of limited slip axle additive instead of 1.

Tom

·
Registered
388 Posts
The latest TSB from GM finally addresses the problem. The original problem had nothing to do with bad/defective clutch packs. It was simply a lack of limited slip additive.

Here you go:

Subject: Rear Axle Clunk and/or Chatter Type Noise on Turns (Drain/Refill Rear Differential Fluid and Add Specified Limited-Slip Axle Additive) #07-04-20-002 - (04/16/2007)

Models: 2004-2007 Cadillac XLR (Including V-Series and Export)

2005-2007 Chevrolet Corvette (Including Z06 and Export)

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk and/or chatter type noise from the rear of the vehicle while making turns.

Cause
This condition may be caused by slip/stick of the posi-traction clutch plates due to insufficient limited-slip axle additive. As plates slip and stick, a jumping or jerking feel occurs accompanied by a clunk noise.

Correction
Important: DO NOT remove the differential cover from the rear or the two sides. It is not necessary to flush the old fluid from the differential.

Drain and refill the rear differential fluid using the procedure listed below. Add the increased amount of limited-slip axle additive specified below.

89021677 (89021678 In Canada)
Synthetic Axle Lubricant
(3 for Z06 and Export)

1052358 (992694 In Canada)
Limited-Slip Axle Additive

(NOTE) The major difference in this TSB is that you add 2 bottles of limited slip axle additive instead of 1.

Tom
I always had some clicking noise in reverse. At 13,6xx miles, my '06 started getting a pronounced grinding on turns.

I brought it to the local dealer today. They said my noise was about a 6 on a scale of 10.

They gave me a copy of this TSB, and did the fluid change. It took about as much time as an oil change.

They also did some figure 8s. They told me it wasn't necessary, but it wouldn't hurt if I did some more.

The noise is much better, but it isn't completely gone. I'm supposed to drive it a while, and see how it goes. If it persists, they will try one more fluid change. If that doesn't work, they'll change the clutch packs.

They used the GM fluids. I asked the tech what he thinks about using Amsoil, and he gave it the thumbs down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Shavings in the oil

Chapter two.

Had all the same simtoms. Replaced the oil etc. Second time. lots of plate shavings. Solution---new packs. Not sure how effective the oil change is going to be long term.

Oil change the easy solution for Chevy. Seems like a general recall would save them lots of money in the long term.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts