Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a forum search and read most of the threads and posts. But I gotta put this to y'all anyway.
Well..., how do I describe this?...
When I first pull off in the Vette, I'm hearing a disturbingly loud squeaking, not-quite-grinding-but-close sound coming from the rear left wheel area.:WTF
Wheel bearings, U-joints?
Braking is fine.
E-brake lets out fine.
The sound goes away after I drive for a while and everything warms up.
Don't see any signs of tire scrubbing.
Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas as to what this could be before I head to a shop will be very much appreciated.:buhbye:

·
Registered
376 Posts
To check the wheel bearings get the rear wheels off the ground, then grab each one at 9:00 and 3:00 and try to rock the wheel. Do the same thing at 12:00 and 6:00. ANY movement is a sign the bearings are going.

The u-joints also should have no slack in them. Try grabbing the half-shafts and see if you can turn them at all.

When was the last time you drained and refilled your diff? Don't foget to use GM posi fluid.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Differential was serviced about 2 yrs. ago along with the auto trans. This noise from the rear situation just popped up w/out any warning--it was just there.

Was about to take the Vette in and the weather turned crappy.
Thanks for the input! :buhbye:

·
Registered
674 Posts
I had this happen as well, it was the u-joints.

It started off as the occasional squeeking at start up, then quickly progressed into a really loud and nasty squeek/groan.

Like stated before, you can check your bearings easy by jacking up the car and trying to shake the wheels.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Just fixed my buddies '85, that had the same problem, and when I removed the half shafts, one of the u-joint caps just fell off, and it had NO bearings left inside it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Mine also did what you "seem" to be describing, but more on the pass side of the car... I pulled the caps off of the U-joints and some were real real dry inside (almost nothing in a couple of them)...I packed them all (including the U-joints on both ends of the cars center driveshaft) with some synthetic bearing lube and the sound was completely gone after it was put back together.......worth a try........the factory U-joints are of the NON-greasable type, so they dry out after several years.... they have some replacement U-joints with the Zerk fittings so they can be greased on a regular basis, but If you drag race at all, stay away from the greasable type, they break MUCH MUCH easier since the hole drilled for the Zerk fitting greatly weakens the U-joint itself.............Joe:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts