Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out what rear ratio I may have in my C3. It is the original rear that came with a 327 300 hp M21 tranny. Is there a typical set up that it would have come with considering it seems to be the basic model.

Reason for asking..........
I have replaced the 327 with a 572 and need to make some adjustments to the rear end as the new engine doesnt rev like that 327. It gets to 60 at the drop of a hat but then it sounds like its doing 150 at 75 mph.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I am trying to figure out what rear ratio I may have in my C3. It is the original rear that came with a 327 300 hp M21 tranny. Is there a typical set up that it would have come with considering it seems to be the basic model.

Reason for asking..........
I have replaced the 327 with a 572 and need to make some adjustments to the rear end as the new engine doesnt rev like that 327. It gets to 60 at the drop of a hat but then it sounds like its doing 150 at 75 mph.
Acording to my book, in '68 the 327 300hp 4 spd came with (2) possible ratios: 3.36 and 3.08 and the auto came with only the 3.08

Hope this helps

·
Registered
147 Posts
jack up the car put a mark on the driveshaft. rotate the tire one revolution while counting the number of times the drive shaft rotates. easy ! dont be surprised if it rotates more than 3.3 times. back in the day 4:10 or even 4:56 was the norm for killer street cars.

good luck

paul

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are a great help I appreciate the responses.

Maybe I should just ask. What transmission / rear end set up would give me the best match between launch speed and top end. I would like to be somewhere in the middle.

Engine is a 572 620hp 650 torque with 20in rims on rear. The hidth is about 28 - 29 inches from ground to top of tire.

Current tranny is M21

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
An M21 is the close ratio trans and usually not used the base motors. Not sure if it could have been ordered with one, maybe. Anyway, the close ratio 1 st gear is a 220 and not the best match to a 308 or 336. With the torque of a BB it will work but SB's wouldn't have run all that well off the line with them. Usually the 21's and 22's came with 370 or 411 diff's. The M20 is a wide ratio and what came with the base motors when a 4 spd was ordered. Usually 336 was matched to them but some bought the "highway" gear which is a 308.

With all that said, you can toss it out since you're going with a huge engine. If you "use" all your power your diff and M21 will be reduced to trash in short order. 650 hp is well beyond a stock 10 bolt I wouldn't ever recommend a Super 10 bolt although I've built a few for guys in the 550-600 range. All depends on hook up and launching.
Muncies and ST-10s are rated about 300 ft/lb of torque if I recall. Most of the high power cars I build diffs for, these are over 600hp up to 1000hp, use 12 bolt conversions and built TH400's.

Here are some pictures of some abused 10 bolts and 4 spds.

Here is a ST-10

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
What transmission / rear end set up would give me the best match between launch speed and top end. I would like to be somewhere in the middle.

Engine is a 572 620hp 650 torque with 20in rims on rear. The hidth is about 28 - 29 inches from ground to top of tire.

Current tranny is M21
A Tremec T-56 Six Speed (or derivative thereof)!!!:partyon:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help. Turns out it was not reaching wide open throttle. I made some adjustment to the pedal connection and it came up of the floor a lot. Made all the difference in the world.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts