Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it suppose to be molded onto the rear of the 69 or is it suppose to be bolted on only?:huh:

The painter thinks it will look better molded but I just want to make sure that's how it's suppose to be.

Thanks guys in advance;)

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Are you talking about the exhaust filler panels

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
the 69's used different rear quarter panels when they came from the factory with side exhaust, and yes, the rear panel was still bolted in

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the 69's used different rear quarter panels when they came from the factory with side exhaust, and yes, the rear panel was still bolted in
This one does bolt in but is it also suppose to be molded in to look more blended? That's basically what I'm wondering.:huh:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The rear filler panels that are available to close off the rear-exhaust openings were not a factory option.

The factory side-exhaust cars have a straight seam between the rear quarter and the filler panel. And as was said above, they just bolt in.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
factory side pipe car:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
The factory side-exhausrt cars have a straight seam between the rear quarter and the filler panel.
never knew that. Learn something every day.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the pictures and info, that helps alot.:thumbsup:

You guys always come through for me.:cheers:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just to be clear, when a 69 was ordered with the N-14 option, the side pipes, the lower side of the rear fenders were different from the rear exhaust cars as demonstrated above. ( from the bonding line down.) Many things can be cloned, but the half a hole being filled in at the corner of the rear fender is a dead giveaway of a converted side pipe car.
here is a picture of my 69 with unmolested fender where it mates to the filler panel. ( one of less than 5000 original N-14 optioned )

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Actual factory side pipe cars had rear fenders without provision for exhaust bezels. These were different from the stock rear fenders. Rear panel was also different from stock with no provision for exhaust bezels.

Genuine side pipe cars also had no bird cage tabs for mounting the regular rocker moldings. Body panels also have to be trimmed for clearance for the pipes and covers. The 69 AIM shows the installation and lists the original part numbers; it also shows where the sotck fiberglass had to be trimmed for clearance.

Regardless of side pipes or regular exhaust, the rear panel bolts on.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
:thumbsup: Looks great, Jeannie..

ZEP

·
Registered
114 Posts
Im getting ready to do the side pipe conversion so I have already been looking at these filler panels. A lot of the parts sites say that fitting is required or that fiberglass installation material is needed. What brand rear filler panel will fit without any sort of body work. I am looking for a bolt in with as little of hassle as one of these cars will allow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts