Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Bondo-glass has worked great for me on holes and cracks. You Probably want to put glass mat on the inside of the panel.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Thick concentrations of filler, especially abrupt change (like filling holes) will eventually be visible. The filler and fiberglass expand and contract at different rates during the hot/cold cycle of the elements. This can cause the ghosting you mention.

My $02, patch them with glass as you would any other place. It's more work, but overall I believe you will be happier with the results.

Tip: Grind a small dish on both sides of the glass. Cut up some glass mat into small pieces and make a paste with resin to fill the hole. Then patch with mat on both sides to fill the dish.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Thick concentrations of filler, especially abrupt change (like filling holes) will eventually be visible. The filler and fiberglass expand and contract at different rates during the hot/cold cycle of the elements. This can cause the ghosting you mention.

My $02, patch them with glass as you would any other place. It's more work, but overall I believe you will be happier with the results.

Tip: Grind a small dish on both sides of the glass. Cut up some glass mat into small pieces and make a paste with resin to fill the hole. Then patch with mat on both sides to fill the dish.
You should try the bondo-glass. It is glass fiber in resin, not the normal bondo. I used it on my 68 and after 8 yrs no issues.

There are two grades, one has finer glass fiber pieces.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
You should try the bondo-glass. It is glass fiber in resin, not the normal bondo. I used it on my 68 and after 8 yrs no issues.

There are two grades, one has finer glass fiber pieces.
I'll have to give that a try..... Where do you get it?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
In a big city most autoparts stores have it. Smaller places you may have to mail order.

Unlike regular bondo, I found it was better to use it sparingly and do several applications. It is tough to sand.

Two types:

Twice as strong as regular body filler. Half-inch, interlocking fiberglass strands create strength and make Bondo® Glass the ideal filler for repairing small (dime size or smaller) holes or rust-outs. The fiberglass strands in the filler allow you to cover holes and eliminate the need for backing strips, fiberglass mat, or cloth. Make repairing small holes easy with Bondo® Glass.

It's all in the name. Formulated with up to inch-long strands of chopped fiberglass, Bondo® Hair repairs 1" rust holes, shattered fiberglass, and dents where extra strength is required. At twice the strength of regular body filler, this filler is great for rebuilding missing pieces or vehicle restoration work. For your toughest repairs choose Bondo® Hair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I know this was an old post, but did you ever fill remove the luggage rack and fill in the holes? Hopefully it came out good. I am making the same decision. Thanks
Anybody successfully filled the body holes on a rear luggage rack removal with no ghosting or telegraphing in the new paint?
I'd love to take mine off. ...I think

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Suggest just taking the rack off, driving it that way for awhile to see how it goes. You may decide you actually like it. Easy to put back on, on the other hand if you fill all the holes and repaint before your sure.....

I have a 1970 Roadster, with the top down there is barely enough room for a pancake type suitcase. Let alone your wife/girlfriends ginormous suitcase full of all sorts of absolutely necessary stuff. If you use your car to go on weekend trips and can use a little extra space for luggage, a rack and bungee cord are nice to have. On the other hand, if you cruise around town maybe a rack isn't a needed item.

IMHO repairing the fiberglass is a better long term solution than filling the holes with any kind of filler.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My old 70 had 1,it was the 1st thing I removed.Never filled the holes.& for some reason the PO glued the rear window in,was bitch undoing that.
70 VETTE.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts