Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the rear tires off the car the other day to get a tire fixed and to paint the calipers. I noticed that my wheel studs are looking pretty worn and crappy. I want to change them out, but the rear spindle looks imtimidating to me.

If i pull the large center nut off that holds the rotor on, will i gain access to the studs? Are they pressed into the rotor or into the spindle behind the rotor?

My other question is, while I have it all torn apart, should I replace the half shaft U joints? I have never done them myself and the car has a ton of miles on it. Are they a big pain in the ass to do? They sure look like they could be...

Just shoot me any info,

thanks

:buhbye:

·
Supporting Vendor
825 Posts
I took the rear tires off the car the other day to get a tire fixed and to paint the calipers. I noticed that my wheel studs are looking pretty worn and crappy. I want to change them out, but the rear spindle looks imtimidating to me.

If i pull the large center nut off that holds the rotor on, will i gain access to the studs? Are they pressed into the rotor or into the spindle behind the rotor?

My other question is, while I have it all torn apart, should I replace the half shaft U joints? I have never done them myself and the car has a ton of miles on it. Are they a big pain in the ass to do? They sure look like they could be...

Just shoot me any info,

thanks

:buhbye:
Wheel studs don't usually wear unless you are changing wheels at the track and constantly re torquing.

And No, just removing the nut will not help you any as far as getting the studs out.
They are sealed hub units that are attached by the axle nut and four bolts to the spindle.
I would check your wheel hubs for wear if anything ( lift the car and grab the top and bottom of the wheel and rock it. There should be no play in there. ) If there is ,replace your hub bearings . They come with new studs on them already .

I would not worry about the rusty look on your lug nuts.
Put a bit of anti seize compound on studs (don't get any on your rotors)
and be done.
Unless your rear axle boots are torn and leaking grease ,leave them alone.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been road racing at a local course in town for awhile now.... I am always taking the z rims off and putting the factory ones on for the track. I have sticky tires on the old rims and dont want to chance tearing up the new wheels. Any way, the old studs threads are looking bad and i have noticed that they are starting to loose their torque... Just old and worn.... The spindles or hubs are in good working order. No play when lifted and I try to rock them. Just figured that It would be a ton cheaper to just replace the studs....

·
Supporting Vendor
825 Posts
I have been road racing at a local course in town for awhile now.... I am always taking the z rims off and putting the factory ones on for the track. I have sticky tires on the old rims and dont want to chance tearing up the new wheels. Any way, the old studs threads are looking bad and i have noticed that they are starting to loose their torque... Just old and worn.... The spindles or hubs are in good working order. No play when lifted and I try to rock them. Just figured that It would be a ton cheaper to just replace the studs....
They are a bitch to get out because you cannot just pound on them.
The right way is to use this tool.

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6480

1 - 4 of 4 Posts