Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AS I see the options there are four, Compost single mount ,double mount, stock replacement , or 4 custom steel . i need the caddy daddy ride, old age has overtaken my back. The only thing mechancial that I have over looked is the Dif and rear spring, Having seen a few spring failures and not wanting to ruin a weekend witha blown rear end I will be doing both as soon as that ship comes in , of course ai will be at the airport or carshow. My C$4 has a broken motor and that will be back in a few weeks. So speed is not an issue here. I like the thought of the double hung rear spring removing the load on the rear carrier. This a low and slow C3 so the racer spring is not in play. Please advise. I am sure that there are diverse opinions out there and all are welcome. Thanks , Placerville Will.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I recommend the dual-mount. Adjustable for ride and negates the need for a sway bar.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Get one of those cheap 9 leafs and remove a few leafs.

I removed 3 leafs

It may still be a little stiff. Get vbandps 9 leaf Rides great and doesn't make the car sit too high.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The 9-leaf rides soft and comfortable but 2.5" wide, your '75 has a 2.25" wide spring ?? While you're working on the differential you might want to get a HD cover for the 2.5" spring. That cover is stronger than the stock piece.... add a drain plug while you can..... Most replacement springs raise the rear so you might need longer spring bolts. :cheers:

·
Registered
148 Posts
There is a new fiberglass spring by Hyperco that is called the Easy Ride spring. Same rate as the 82 fiberglass spring. Van Steel and Ecklers have them. Saw it on the "other" forum. Van Steel had it out as a new product release.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The 9-leaf rides soft and comfortable but 2.5" wide, your '75 has a 2.25" wide spring ?? While you're working on the differential you might want to get a HD cover for the 2.5" spring. That cover is stronger than the stock piece.... add a drain plug while you can..... Most replacement springs raise the rear so you might need longer spring bolts. :cheers:
so,can you use the 2.5 and what do you have to do to do that?

·
Registered
244 Posts
If your stock spring is a 7-leaf and 2 1/4" wide then you have to replace the differential cover with one that is made for a 2 1/2" wide spring. Aftermarket HD versions are around $80.
so the 78 cover will fit on a 75?,yes i ment the HD, and thank you for the info

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
so the 78 cover will fit on a 75?, and thank you for the info
I'm pretty sure it fits, should be the same bolt pattern... I would not replace a stock cover with another stock cover, I never thought I needed it but when I saw how much beefier the HD cover is I bought one - the "ears" are a lot thicker, that's where the two rear spring mounting bolts screw in.:cheers:

Edit: PM GTR1999 (Gary) - he knows for sure if the '78 cover fits

1 - 10 of 10 Posts