Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm half-way through putting my rear end back together and came to the point where my chassis rebuild book says to put on the strut rods. Now nevermind that no where that I could find did the chassis rebuild book ever talk about mounting the bracket itself onto the differential, although it did have a shiny pic of the bracket itself. :down:

Looking at the bracket it's somewhat offset to one side. So with no guidance from the chassis rebuild book and my AIM picture was worthless, I knew I had a 50/50 chance of getting it on there right.

After I partially connected the bracket (no torque) and connected the strut rod to the trailing arm, I took a look at the strut rod and to me it looks like it's not right.

So I'm looking for DC to save my hide once again. Can someone tell me if they think I have the bracket on right or do I need to flip it around? Here's a pic:

Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I was worried because it didn't like the strut rod was perfectly parallel to the half shaft, it looked to be more at a small angle.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for the noobs after me doing the same thing

For posterity, and for my own curiosity, I went out and measured the bolt holes. Sure enough, the line A in the picture is 3/16" shorter than the line B:

I was mainly worried something was wrong because this is what I was seeing from underneath:

But I think I'm not looking at it right. I started to think about how it travels and the arc that the trailing arm is on when it goes up and down. My half shaft in this picture isn't quite parallel to the ground which means that the rod/spindle connection is starting to follow the imaginary circular path around the pivot point the trailing arm is connected to. The picture is also a bit skewed as the distance between the half shaft and the strut rod is not constant from differential to trailing arm, the rod gets further away from the shaft the further away it gets from the differential.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'm building a 6-Link based upon the Giovanni design, and I noticed, as you did that the lower strut rod bracket is NOT in line with the halfshafts, it sits a little towards the rear. I was kind of shocked, since I built my upper strut rod brackets to sit centerline with the half shafts.

Apparently not a problem since this is the way GM designed it, but I thought it was kind of odd when I first discovered it.:huh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts