Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Well, the u-joints are all done. The outher driver side was the worst. One had only 9 needles left. The other weren't really that bad. Changed them all anyway. Problem solved. Thanks for everyones suggestions and ideas. Much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Mike said:
I was told I should change my rear end gear oil too since that may also be the cause of this type of noise. Does that make sense to you?
In a word, no. But draining the old lubricant and replacing it isn't a bad idea. Oil is cheap, the differential on a Corvette is not.

Typically a lubrication failure in the differential will produce a whine because the ring and pinion gears suffer wear which causes them to no longer mesh properly. If you drain the lubricant, remove the back plate and smear white grease on the pinion gear's teeth. Rotate one wheel and make sure the grease is spread evenly across the face of the teeth of the ring gear after one rotation. If it is not you will see grease on the toe or heel of the ring gear's teeth indicating misalignment. I seriously doubt you will see this however.

If you do drain and replace, make sure to check the shop manual for the part # of the GM rear end oil additive which is required for the Positraction clutches.

Ray

Discussion starter · #23 ·
RT66Z06 said:
In a word, no. But draining the old lubricant and replacing it isn't a bad idea. Oil is cheap, the differential on a Corvette is not.

Typically a lubrication failure in the differential will produce a whine because the ring and pinion gears suffer wear which causes them to no longer mesh properly. If you drain the lubricant, remove the back plate and smear white grease on the pinion gear's teeth. Rotate one wheel and make sure the grease is spread evenly across the face of the teeth of the ring gear after one rotation. If it is not you will see grease on the toe or heel of the ring gear's teeth indicating misalignment. I seriously doubt you will see this however.

If you do drain and replace, make sure to check the shop manual for the part # of the GM rear end oil additive which is required for the Positraction clutches.

Ray

After doing the ujoints, I drained and replaced the gear oil and special additive in the rear end. The old stuff was black. I dont know how long it had been since last changed. I bought the car a year ago. I did not pull the back plate off though. There does not seem to be any unusual noises now. Hopefully I will not have any more trouble in that area. Thanks for your input.

Rubbing Noise

I too had a clicking and rubbing noise which I thought may have been the inner lining of the rear wheel. Turns out that my wheel bearings were bone dry. To check this, you will need to remove your wheel, pull the caliper, dust cover and axel nut. Then pull the wheel assy off which is just a bush and you may be surprized that your wheel bearing is dry. Clean with a cloth and repack with axel grease. Eliminated the sound on my end!! Of, and if you do one, do the other.

I too had a clicking and rubbing noise which I thought may have been the inner lining of the rear wheel. Turns out that my wheel bearings were bone dry. To check this, you will need to remove your wheel, pull the caliper, dust cover and axel nut. Then pull the wheel assy off which is just a bush and you may be surprized that your wheel bearing is dry. Clean with a cloth and repack with axel grease. Eliminated the sound on my end!! Of, and if you do one, do the other.
My rear wheel bearings are pressed together in a bearing hub assembly with no way of repacking are you talking about a front wheel bearing?

those u joints are tricky little buggers.
I had a fiew that had dust instead of needle bearings in them.
made all kinds of racket when driving. ended up doing all 6 just incase.

now I get a slight rubbing sound off the rear end.
I managed to figure it is the rear disk break, rubbing against the break pads when im going around slight turns, the wheel bearings in the rear have got some "play" in them and the rear wheels "lean" the smallest amount in corners wich rubs the disk at an angle to the pad = noise.

there is alot of differing oppinions on the rear wheel bearings, as there is a set amount of play ( or wear ) wich is "acceptable" acording to the service manual, but driving around with that much play in the rear wheel bearings is quite un nerving to say the least.
One sure fire way to tell if its time to get new rear wheel bearings is quickly accelerating from a dead stop, the car will feel like its "side tracking" or turned to the side the slightest bit while going strait. = the torque from the half shafts turns the rear tires outward a little bit, and it definately does not feel right.

so just dont rule out the rear wheel bearings as well. they do get slopy.

I think I need to replace both rear bearings. I hear a really bad moan and groan when backing up or turning left or right at slow speed. Sound comes from the wheel area. Car has 109k and some ZR1 offset 11's in the rear.

Do you think the wider wheels might cause more stress? No biggie replacing both is the plan.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.