Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been planning on doing this for a little while now, and today I finally got around to it.

I had noticed a while back that some C3's rear window trim was bare stainless steel, while others, mine included, had trim that was painted black. From what I understand they came both ways from the factory, but Im not sure if it was certain years that came one way or the other or not...

Either way, my trim was scratched in a few spots revealing the nice shiny stainless, so I figured "hey! why not strip the paint and polish the metal?" I thought polished stainless would look MUCH better on my black car, especially once I tint the windows. Heres how it came out...

Before:

Trim off: (with the right tool that was much easier to take off then I expected!)

Before:

I did this over at my buddy's today while we also did some work on my brother's 2009 SRT-8 Challenger. My buddy is the one with the 9sec 1000hp 1999 FRC Vette. He gave me this stuff to strip the paint.... Im not sure what it was but it was insane! :surprised Also, it doesnt feel good on your skin... I know from experience :thud:

Thats what it did to the paint after being on for only about 10secs!!!!

Heres a section stripped:

....and heres the finished product.... and this is just stripped, I havent even polished it yet!

Oh, and just for the heck of it, heres what we were doing on my brother's car! :laughing:

Everything is in but we still have to tune it.... were going to make a trip to the local dyno together. Ive been meaning to get my car up there since putting in the new motor to see what it makes for power and also tweak the carb.:partyon:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
supercharged srt8? I have a srt8 too, i didnt know there was a kit.

Good mod
Yup, Procharger has a few different kits for them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Looks good:thumbsup:. Could you take a picture of the tool you used to remove the trim? Was it just as easy to install again?. Could the same tool be used to remove the trim on the A-pillar?

My car (same year, engine and colour as yours:thumbsup:) has black window trim, but it looks like some amateurs painted it and it`s now falling off. I want to remove mine and paint it black again and bondo out the dents those morons who painted it made. I`d love to have it shiny stainless, but it`s ruined now with all those dents.

Thanks...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
68-mid78 where polished.
mid 78-82 where trim black.

:thumbsup:
Personally I prefer the stainless on the rear glass when the front glass is also polished. The front and rear glass trim should match. :cheers:

Now you need to strip the front glass trim. :D
I also think the blacked out trim gives the car a more "modern" look.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
68-mid78 where polished.
mid 78-82 where trim black.

:thumbsup:
Personally I prefer the stainless on the rear glass when the front glass is also polished. The front and rear glass trim should match. :cheers:

Now you need to strip the front glass trim. :D
I also think the blacked out trim gives the car a more "modern" look.
Yeah Im planning on doing the front.... just need to figure out how to remove it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Yeah Im planning on doing the front.... just need to figure out how to remove it.
Same clips and tool that you used on the rear glass.
A tip is to cover the glass about 2 inches inward from the trim with some masking tape to prevent scratches from the tool. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same clips and tool that you used on the rear glass.
A tip is to cover the glass about 2 inches inward from the trim with some masking tape to prevent scratches from the tool. :thumbsup:
Hmm really? I havent really looked at it, just quickly... but it looked like the trim had a bead of sealant between it and the glass, unlike the rear, preventing you from getting the tool in there. Any tricks I should know of?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Looks great , that car is really starting to come together now....I even see a glimse of your new A4's...tease

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks great , that car is really starting to come together now....I even see a glimse of your new A4's...tease
Thanks man!

Heres another glimpse :laughing:

Im going to update my interior thread now with real pics of the seats!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Hmm really? I havent really looked at it, just quickly... but it looked like the trim had a bead of sealant between it and the glass, unlike the rear, preventing you from getting the tool in there. Any tricks I should know of?
If you have any sealant in between the glass and trim, somebody bubba'd it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Your Vette always looks so great. You forced me to

pry myself away from the PC and go out to the garage

and check mine. Now I have another two jobs to do,

front and rear trim. Thanks for cutting into my nap time.

And my wife thought she had the only rights.:D

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your Vette always looks so great. You forced me to

pry myself away from the PC and go out to the garage

and check mine. Now I have another two jobs to do,

front and rear trim. Thanks for cutting into my nap time.

And my wife thought she had the only rights.:D
Thanks... it hasnt always looked good, but its come a long way. Take a look at the first page or two in this thread http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131910 and youll see what I mean lol.

haha Im just glad Im at the point now where Im the one inspiring people on here :smack... Im always coming on to these forums picking everybodys brains, Im glad Im able to give back :laughing:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Thanks... it hasnt always looked good, but its come a long way. Take a look at the first page or two in this thread http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131910 and youll see what I mean lol.

haha Im just glad Im at the point now where Im the one inspiring people on here :smack... Im always coming on to these forums picking everybodys brains, Im glad Im able to give back :laughing:
Yeah, I see what you mean. I've done so many cars and trucks I can't even count them all. It does get old after a while. Most of the time though, its worth it in the end.
I've got a ways to go on mine. I'll be taking it out for a cruise tomorrow (Memorial Day).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts