Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what type of DANA rearend came in a 1990 Z51? Is it the DANA 36 or 44, and what gear ratios does it have with the 6 speed? Thanks.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Does anyone know what type of DANA rearend came in a 1990 Z51? Is it the DANA 36 or 44, and what gear ratios does it have with the 6 speed? Thanks.

All 6 speeds came with a Dana 44, 3.54 ratio.

In 1990 the Z51 was only available on 6 speed coupes.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I thought the Dana 44 in 6 speed cars was 3:42 with the exception of 'high noise' areas; they got the 3:54 gears - - but I am probably wrong here too . .

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. That makes sense. 3.42 sounds familiar, but I wasn't sure. My grandpa has a 1997 coupe with and automatic and my '90 feels twice as fast in the first couple gears. I was just wondering what setup I had without having to take it apart.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
A Z51 automatic was 3:15 (DANA 36) and I think the standard gear was about 2:79 or so.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
If you still have your Service Parts Identification sticker (underside of console door, and it should look like the picture below), look for one of the following RPO codes:

GH0 = 3.54:1
GM3 = 3.45:1
GT7 = 3.33:1
GW4 = 3.31:1

There is some discussion on other forums that the earlier six speed cars (maybe through '90 or '91) came with the GH0, but that the standard six speed rear gear ratio was changed to 3.45:1 (but I'm not sure exactly when).

Steven

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
hijack (sorry)--which is stronger, 3.54 or 3.45 ? (as in able to take more abuse before shedding teeth)
The difference in their design wouldn't seem to provide one more strength than the other.

Steven

·
DC Crew
4,823 Posts
You'll have to check your RPO's I have a Dana 44 with 3.33 gears

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A Z51 still has a DANA 44 correct? The only thing that changes is the gear options?

·
Registered
376 Posts
A Z51 still has a DANA 44 correct? The only thing that changes is the gear options?

The Dana 44 was the only rear (regardless of ratio) offered with the 6 speed, the D36 was the only one with the automatic.

As far as the feel of your car vs your grandfather's, the L98 had very strong low end torque, so it was actually faster than the LT1 (and mybe even the LS1) for the first few hundred feet. Its only problem was that it ran out of breath around 48oo rpm.

·
Registered
914 Posts
How much power can the dana 36 take before it breaks using stock converter. And how much more power can the dana 44 take before it's history?

·
Registered
428 Posts
How much power can the dana 36 take before it breaks using stock converter. And how much more power can the dana 44 take before it's history?
My D36 broke 3 times with 3.75 gears and Firehawk SZ 50's with a 87 Converter in my 93 with the LT1. All hard miles, but regardless it is weak rearend for strip use.
The D44 is a different ballgame. Having the suspension and differential tight, with good shocks, springs, bushings etc(especially Batwing with Urethane bushings) helps both survive longer. Some D44 guys runs 9's. So horsepower is pretty darn high, over 500 rwhp is handled by many.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts