Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The door panels on my 79 were rotting when I got it, and they were also 2 different colors. I decided that instead of just buying 2 new ones, I would use the chance to learn something new and customize them a bit.

This is what I started with:

Unfortunately I don't have any dis-assembly pictures, but it consists only of prying out the staples on the back, and pulling out the center as it is glued down with spray adhesive. Here is the bare door:

reverse side

I have more detailed process pictures coming, but this is where I am at now:

I have to cut the foam into segments to fit inside the panel to give it a soft feel, and attach it to the door with 3M spray, staples, and the inner window seal. I will then cut holes for the door handle, locks, and arm rest/pull. I am happy about the way it is looking so far, and feeling more confident in the changes I decided on too.

~wd-40:buhbye:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I am very interested in how these turn out. I have been wanting to do this too. Looks like you have a good start:thumbsup: Take lots of pictures and post details, keep up the good work.

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
Keep at it man... :thumbsup:

I remember about a year ago, I tried fiberglassing my ripped door panels.. it came out ok and I used them for a bit, but I finally got some other used ones and put them on... threw the fiberglassed ones I worked on away..

But it was a real fun experiment...

I'm guessing yours with the leather will look and feel a lot better...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice :thumbsup: Where did you get the new panel covers?
I went to a local fabric store (hancock fabrics) and took a sample of all automotive quality black vinyl they had. I took all the pieces into the car and decided which grain, texture, and gloss I liked the best. I went with a softer variety medium grain in semigloss. I also purchased the foam here in 1/2 inch, and upholstery thread.

Me and my friend with a large sewing machine separated each segment of the old panels, and cut the same shape in the new vinyl, with a couple changes. The "piping" had to be made, by folding a plastic cord into the vinyl and sewing it shut.

The changes I made are removing the carpet and pocket, using "double piping" at the top seam, and removing the piping along the edge of the door.

Closeup of double piping:

Breakdown of how it's made:

More yet is coming, I didn't have my camera on the day we separated all the pieces, but I have pics of the rest coming. Thanks for the encouragement! It's definitely more fun than I thought it was going to be, and looking a little better too. Questions are more than welcome. (they make me feel cool haha) And for anyone who either will or is considering, don't cheap out on spray adheisive! (previous experience)

~wd-40:buhbye:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts