Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the 1LT for different factors, but i would like to install an after market Navigation system. Can anyone recommend a unit that is compatible both with functions and ascetics of the C6 coupe. I read in another thread about the Kenwood 7100. any others i should took for.
Any detriments to going after market? I have heard a few bad things about the stock one.
Thanks in advance,
-Rich

'07 Coupe Atomic Orange Z51.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I use a portable so I can switch from car to car and caryy on an airplane when I travel.

:cheers:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
I went through four GPS units, before keeping the Garmin. Plug it in and go. Easy to use and lots of up datable software. Most of the units I went through looked nice with the big-screens, but were a pain to download all the POI'S (point of origins) I would be in a newer subdivision and it would say I was in a field. Most update there maps every 3 to 4 years. Garmin, once a year to a year and a half. The downloads are very easy . They look nice and depending on price, have everything from blue tooth that links to your cell phone and tells you who's calling, to traffic and alternate routes. They can give you speed limits on the road you are driving and alert you if you are going to fast.
It gives you addresses and phone number from every kind of business or service (fuel etc.) you choose. Type in what ever you want "beer" and it will give every bar and liquor store around you. (then type in POLICE STATION and it will tell you which way not to go home) Hands down beats everything in the same price range. $300 to $700. Most importantly... no monthly fee's !!! The Tom-Tom would be my second choice.

Down side to every one of them.... The mounting bracket. The suction cup would loose it's suction from the temperature changes during the day. I called Garmin and complained and they sent me out a rubber tripod that sits on the dash, at no charge.

2nd downside..... The power cord is not long enough and the unit is not "recommended" to be "hardwired".

Just like my cell phone, it has come to the point where I ask myself "how did I do without it for so long.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the well versed info. Does garmine pay you? hahhahaha But seriously thank you for your input. I ll have to make a decision.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
There was an earlier post with pictures of a Pioneer system that looked great! I'd check the C6 Aftermarket section...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I got the 1LT for different factors, but i would like to install an after market Navigation system. Can anyone recommend a unit that is compatible both with functions and ascetics of the C6 coupe. I read in another thread about the Kenwood 7100. any others i should took for.
Any detriments to going after market? I have heard a few bad things about the stock one.
Thanks in advance,
-Rich

'07 Coupe Atomic Orange Z51.
I got the pioneer D3 it is a double din unit most up the dater maps easy to use nav system has a ipod accessorie cable so i can control my ipod from the screen, plays dvds. and has bluetooth so it answers my phone. the kenwood sucks you will hate it the nav un it is very hard to read. i looked at it and couldn't even find my address on it! the pioneer is the best on the market and installed with the bluetooth piece and ipod cable was only 1500.00 and it makes my stereo rock now! WHO NEED BOSE WIHEN YOU CAN HAVE PIONEER! i promise you will not regret the pioneer, you can look at some of my old threads for pics of the install
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74751

·
Banned
176 Posts
you could use a map :)
AVIC-D3 if you want to spend something around $1100 for a permanent unit. It's awesome and has all of the toys, XM, backup camera, blue tooth, navtraffic, CD, iPod connector and other stuff for small add on prices. Garmin all the way if you want something that you can take from car to car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm going with the Pioneer D3 but if your wanting to take the nav in and out of your car go with the Alpine IVA-W205 HU and the blackbird navigation. The Blackbird docks inside the W205 and if you want to take the nav unit for another car or something undock it and use it as a colored portable nav. It also acts as an MP3 player as well.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Have the Garmin Nuvi Model 660. Great navigation unit, small enough to carry along with you in travel bag, or pocket. Very straight forward, easy to understand and use. Very nice quality. Can be bought for considerably below the advertised MSRP price...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Pioneer Avic D3 all the way

More features than you could ever want, awesome little unit, very affordable:thumbsup: Makes the factory nav look like a kindergarten toy.

Only thing you'll miss with any aftermarket nav, is NO Heads Up Display integration.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I use Garmin c340 which is a portable unit that I take in different vehicles. I spend alot of time in Hickory NC, which is possibly the worst place on earth for street names (just check a map) and the GPS does fine here plus it is easy to update and easily hidden so to not distract from the beauty of the C6

1 - 12 of 12 Posts