Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I need some advice on what type of primer or epoxy primer I should use before I start doing the glass work on this 76 corvette. the car is already stripped. Any advice would be helpful. thank you
Check the "Old man's guide to painting a Corvette" by 7TRoadster in the sticky part of this forum. Best and most correct guide I've ever seen.

I departed from his advice in only one area - I used an epoxy primer on the stripped and bare SMC panels because some health issues were going to cause a delay in my refinish process. Be very careful with bare SMC on these cars, if they absorb any oil or, even worse, silicon, the panel can be permanently ruined. To answer your specific question, I used Southern Polyurethane SPI 6600 series epoxy primer. It is available in white, grey, black, and red oxide. It has UV inhibitors and is impervious to sunlight and does not have to be covered with paint to protect it. That makes it ideal for underhood and frame/suspension components. It is tough as, well, epoxy. I consulted with SPI before using it on the SMC body and was assured it would be totally compatible. It's been a couple of years now and I have had no problems whatsoever. That's the only deviation I made from 7TRoadster's procedure. Pay close attention to the instructions if you use this primer, it can be temperature sensitive although I've gotten away with murder on that. Note that after activating the epoxy you must let it induce for 30 minutes before spraying. You must also have a very good respirator setup, preferably air fed. This is some nasty stuff to spray but is worth all the trouble. Best epoxy primer I've ever used, hands down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts