Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clear coat on my wheels on my 93 is flat and cloudy looking with some permanent stains from something. I would like to strip the clear coat and polish the wheels and either apply a good wax or maybe re apply a clear coat.

Has anyone out there re-finished their wheels? Any suggestions or advice on the process, or products to use, (or not use), would be appreciated. If anyone has pics of their refinishing work on their wheels, please post the pics.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,527 Posts
If you've never polished aluminum before, I'd suggest that you find someone that does if professionally. I understand the going rate is $125-$150 USD per wheel. It it time comsuming and difficult to get a good finish unless you have the proper equipment. Good luck.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Torch Red 2K said:
If you've never polished aluminum before, I'd suggest that you find someone that does if professionally. I understand the going rate is $125-$150 USD per wheel. It it time comsuming and difficult to get a good finish unless you have the proper equipment. Good luck.
:agree:

Unless you are bored to death, and have all the time in the world, I would have someone professionally do it as well.

You can put many hours into each wheel and still not get the desired results.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Mike said:
The clear coat on my wheels on my 93 is flat and cloudy looking with some permanent stains from something. I would like to strip the clear coat and polish the wheels and either apply a good wax or maybe re apply a clear coat.

Has anyone out there re-finished their wheels? Any suggestions or advice on the process, or products to use, (or not use), would be appreciated. If anyone has pics of their refinishing work on their wheels, please post the pics.

Torch red and Patrick are right on about the labor involved and possibly the results.

You can however get them looking like new if you want to spend the time on them. I did my stock 88 wheels, and sold them for $600 after they were finished.

Took lots of time, probably 4-5 hours each wheel, but it was worth it. Let me know if you want details of how I did them. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts