Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Refreshing my 77 T/T steering column - can someone tell me the proper grease for the steering column bearings ? Obviously the environment is different for the upper versus lower but I suppose I'm over thinking it...

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,470 Posts
Your right. Don't try and over think it. I would use a white grease like Lubriplate. It is non runny/messy under moderate heat and remains pliable under cold conditions

Reactions: 77blue

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So tear-down went fairly smooth - procuring replacement parts was a pain (my 77 is an "early") and not all diagrams, exploded views, etc. are accurate). Am replacing bearings and all electrical /plastic parts.

Also I'm changing from "smoked grey" to black so I've used SEM color coat but but I'm unsure about using a "clear" over it for added protection.

Current "Landau Black" is a good match for the console and bezel so if I go with a clear I want to maintain the current luster. 'For those who have done interior color changes what's your experience ? Also, if your recommendation is to add clear would you use the SEM "satin clear" or the "low luster". My SEM product supplier was no help at all - not that it was a much of a surprise but ...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
You local paint store should have "spray out cards" (usually they will give you a few free). If you buy one can of both colors and put them on spray out cards you can compare and contrast in the car. When you've made your choice get enough paint to do all the interior parts at once, SEM is pretty consistent but colors can change slightly between manufacturing lots.

As for the clear coat, it looks nice but is much harder to repair if it gets scratched or damaged.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, still trying to finish my column refresh - what a PITA ! Didn't do enough research on a 77 to realize how many pieces were 1 year only. Also, finding pictures and info on those unique parts was fruitless.

Had decided early on to replace bearings and all electrical and plastic parts even though I couldn't see any wear on the majority of the plastic (non-electrical) pieces. I received the parts from 2 different vendors (no one had all parts of course) and began re-assembly. I soon spotted a wire that was broken off on the new the turn signal switch, super hard to see that it wasn't attached but certainly happy I didn't get it all back together and find that not all functions worked. Of course none of the vendors accept returns on electrical parts so I finally found a AC-Delco OEM part. I also had an issue during assembly where the "gear rack" for the key cylinder would jam. It worked fine until I pressed the tilt pins back in - pulled it back apart thinking I had it wrong and same thing on round 2. I compared the old with the new part and it looked identical (except for the china stamp) ! Well what I did was put the original rack and plastic gear back in and it works just like it's supposed to. Guess I thought buying from one of the big corvette vendors was safe but I've learned a lesson on this project. Hopefully I can get the turn signal lever / dimmer switch (3rd pic) to work correctly as it is non-procurable (77 is unique).

IMG_1524.JPG IMG_1494.JPG IMG_1503.JPG

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well before I wrap it and put it on the shelf I need to do an electrical verification but otherwise I'm happy with how it
turned out. What a PITA - some times the more research I do the harder I make the job.

IMG_1533x.jpg IMG_1534x.jpg IMG_1535x.jpg

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
77blue wish I had seen this when you started, from your pics it looks like many or most of the internal parts are the same as my 81. I found a guy that has lots of new parts as well as some good procedures. Gathered up quite a bit of data on C3 steering columns. I used SEM mixed by my paint guy without clear coat. I've used it before and it seemed to hold up quite well without any clear.
DSC_6990.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts