Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 Vette, which, of course, did not come with a remote keyless entry. SO, I bought a kit to install it myself.

Now, I reallize that without a degree in electrical engineering, I am way out of my league. I can do the wiring and I am a pretty good mechanic, but I do not understand what the instructions are telling me....I called the company for help, and they referred me to a guy that does not speak English....no help there.

Has anyone done this, or have any suggestions....help and thanks:excited:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, they do, but it is something like $300....it may be the only option....especially with the VATS "stuff"...thanks:cheers:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I put a fairly inexpensive keyless entry system in my 85. It's made by Autopage. Wasn't too tough. You may have to use a relay or two to invert the signals from the receiver.

What part of the instructions are you having probems with?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jim

It seems like the whole thing is goofy....I think I don't have enough background to do the job.

I was hoping someone could explain the negative vs. positive triggers, and where to find the wires to tie into in the vette...:surprised

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Re: Hi Jim

zog said:
It seems like the whole thing is goofy....I think I don't have enough background to do the job.

I was hoping someone could explain the negative vs. positive triggers, and where to find the wires to tie into in the vette...:surprised
Yikes. A complicated install and no support from the makers.

You are between a rock and a hard place. Do you have a friend that could be a second set of eyes?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Negative trigger means that the system provides a ground pulse on the output line when the corresponding button on the remote is pressed.

Positive trigger means the system provides a pulse of 12 volts on the output line.

If the pulse is backwards from what you need you can install a relay to invert the pulse. You can get small automotive relays from Radio Shack. If you're going to use an output without a relay be sure that the output is rated for the current that the circuit you're hooking it up to will draw. For instance, I had to put a relay in the hatch latch circuit for my car because the hatch circuit drew 600 mA and the output on the entry system was only capable of supplying 200 mA.

All the wires I hooked into were behind the hush panel to the left of the steering column. I don't remember the colors but since your's is an 86 they might be different anyway. You can use a meter and probe around by sticking a needle into each wire and measuring voltage while you press the door lock switches and hatch release. Note that one or more may require a ground to activate (negativ trigger) so you'll need to measure each wire to ground and to 12 volts. If you take the door panel off the driver's side door you can trace the wires to the various switches and get a good idea of which colors to look for.

Hope this helps.....good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a milliion

Wow...not I at least have a starting point. I can pull the hush panel and the door panel and start tracing wires. The directions that came with the kit and knowing where all the wiring is really get the ball rolling....thanks you.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I looked at the Ecklers kit but found that I could get a pertty good alarm that has keyless entry and all kinds of other things on the fob installed for under $350.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts