Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some reading on cross members for auto vs manual cars. It is my understanding that manuals always came with a non-removable crossmember. Did automatics come with removable crossmembers? Am im missing something completely?

I have a TH350 in my car which is not original (70's came with TH400's correct?), and a non removable crossmember. Could my car have been a manual from the factory?

Thanks guys. Im getting used to asking stupid questions now. :cool:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
Automatics had the removable CM. The Th400 was used up until 1975-76 I think then they went with the TH350.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
yes, yours was a manual. Check if there's a clutch rod bracket on the frame. If you don't know what to look for, check if the brake proportioning valve/safety switch is mounted on a bracket vertically, auto cars had it mounted straight to a bracket welded on the frame in a horizontal pos. where the clutch linkage bracket is on manual cars, Also, peel away the sides of the center console carpet (next to seat), you should be able to see the hole in the floor where the shifter used to stick through:

That's on a 69 that originally was a manual. The old clutch switch (park/neutral switch) was cut, bubba installed a new one on his bubba installed shifter which was palced over the original shifter hole with a bit of fiberglass and sheet metal under it and 4 bolts of which 2 were only semi tight. He then chewed a new hole for the auto shifter cable which you can see here also. That idiot converted a big block 4 speed convertible a/c car w/ power brakes and power steering into a lame SBC/th350. What a genius.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet. This is the first hard information I have learned about the original car. Hopefully one day I will know the original color. Can the chassis ID stamp near the drivers side rear be seen with everything put together? I can take off the wheel if I need to. Where exactly is it? I have only heard its in the wheel well.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Not sure about the Vette, but the A-body (Chevelle) the frame stamping was over the right rear wheel. You have to get lucky and use a mirror to see it with the body on the frame.

The trim tag will have all the original color info..

:cheers:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Yes, on top of the frame in wheel well area on drivers side. It'll be hard to spot, especially if your cat has a evap canister line running there.

As for original color, what about the trim tag in the dr. side a pillar post??

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The trim tag will have all the original color info..

:cheers:
If only it was that easy. The trim tag is long gone and the former rivet holes filled in. Under the lovely pink I can find red, but the red shows up on the 78 front clip and the 70 rear. Im hoping that when I take her apart I can find some overspray that would be original.

This weekend Ill try to catch a glimpse of the chassis stamp.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
The frame was stamped on the top of the LH rear rail near the #4 mount and on the top rail under the LH sillplate area- between the #3 - #4 mounts. You'd have to cut the glass or pull the body to see it. The rear one will be hard to see and if there is any rust forget it.
The eng and tranny were stamped with the VIN, the rear end wasn't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts