Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would happen if you removed the vapor can. system.
If I remove it what mods need to be made.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
the easy way is to just take it out...basically what it does is filter the air that is vented from the gas tank.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Cars with vapor canisters also have sealed gas caps. If you remove the vapor canister, you will need to cap the line so the vapors don't escape into the garage and crate a fuel smell whenever you open the hood.

As a result of capping the line, you'll need to install a vented gas cap to replace the sealed gas cap.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you all know where I can get a un sealed gas cap?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Do you all know where I can get a un sealed gas cap?

I believe some of the Corvette parts vendors sell vented gas caps for most years, or you can do it yourself.

I bought a sealed gas cap, and drilled three 1/8" holes to vent it myself.

·
Registered
910 Posts
You're going to get the same gas smell from the vented cap as if you disconnected the line to the canister.
I leave mine unplugged from the canister to the engine with no smell.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
You're going to get the same gas smell from the vented cap as if you disconnected the line to the canister.
I leave mine unplugged from the canister to the engine with no smell.

I don't have much gas smell at all. The three small holes let the pressure equalize during engine operation, but I don't detect any gas smell, compared to when I had a sealed gas cap and an open vapor canister line. It was a night and day difference.

Come to think of it I may have used a smaller than 1/8" bit. Regardless, it's probably around half the size, maybe less, than the vapor line. The fumes are managed.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I don't have much gas smell at all. The three small holes let the pressure equalize during engine operation, but I don't detect any gas smell, compared to when I had a sealed gas cap and an open vapor canister line. It was a night and day difference.

Come to think of it I may have used a smaller than 1/8" bit. Regardless, it's probably around half the size, maybe less, than the vapor line. The fumes are managed.
Then you're problem was a saturated canister, not the open canister line.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Then you're problem was a saturated canister, not the open canister line.

Nah the canister had been out for around a year. I only had the smell for that year. Then I capped the line, and vented the gas cap. No more smell. I'm not saying there were no fumes, but they were reduced enough that I didn't smell them.

Not sure what differed between my setup and yours. Whatever the difference is it's changing our outcomes.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Nah the canister had been out for around a year. I only had the smell for that year. Then I capped the line, and vented the gas cap. No more smell. I'm not saying there were no fumes, but they were reduced enough that I didn't smell them.

Not sure what differed between my setup and yours. Whatever the difference is it's changing our outcomes.
With the canister gone, there was nothing to absorb the vapors after the gasoline sloshed into the vapor line.
That's what the activated charcoal does, same as odor eaters for stinky feet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts