Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to remove a timing chain crank sprocket from one engine to install on another and can't believe how tight it is. The old one came off easy. I am using a 2 jaw puller with a 1/2-20 drive, I don't know if there are any specialty tools to do this and I don't want to screw up the sprocket.

Any advice?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Not really unusual for them to be real tight. You've got the puller, maybe a little heat? Propane torch should be enough. Patience helps. Propane won't heat it as fast as oxy/acetylene, but it should work. When I install a gear, I put it in the oven at 350* for about 15 minutes, then work fast installing it.

:cheers:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Not really unusual for them to be real tight. You've got the puller, maybe a little heat? Propane torch should be enough. Patience helps. Propane won't heat it as fast as oxy/acetylene, but it should work. When I install a gear, I put it in the oven at 350* for about 15 minutes, then work fast installing it.

:cheers:
So THATs why you don't leave finger prints on your work....

:rolling: :rolling: :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
8,541 Posts
a good quality 3 or four arm gear puller used with some penetrating oil spray will work much better, simply because the cheap two arm pullers tend to put pressure on the gear that wants to FOLD and bind the gear to the crank snout, while a 3 or 4 arm puller doesn,t, it tends to slide the gear.....be aware that the tip of the crank can be dammaged if the correct puller with a wide roller conical tips not used to protect the crank threads.
and yeah, a propane torch might work but it also may destroy the temper on the gear teath, something you can,t see untill it fails/thru excessive wear in a few thousand miles

btw don,t even think about the cheap crap gear pullers harbor freight sells, its a total waste of money and it will break almost every time its used, yeah it says its forged but its realy cast crap/junk

these
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40965

are junk, bought to test at the rediculusly low price and it failed on the first attempt

this works

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...Automotive+Specialty+Tools&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts