Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to make another attempt to remove the paint swirls from my car this weekend, but am curious what you guys think I could do to make some progress.

I would like to try and do this by hand, since my buffer isn't the greatest, and I have no intentions of purchasing a nice orbital buffer at the moment.

Can anyone suggest a specific product that they may have used or have any experience with? How about the application?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

edit: My apologies for the misplacement of the topic. Thanks for moving it to the proper location. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was actually going to try that tomorrow, since I know I have seen it before. Is there a slightly more abbrasive product that Meguire's carries in their lineup?

Any recommendations on what I could use/do on the application of the swirl remover?

·
Supporting Vendor
243 Posts
No matter what product(s) you decide to go with, you always want to use microfiber applicators and premium microfiber towels when applying and removing the swirl remover by hand or machine. Using cheap microfiber or terry towels can actually cause more harm than good.

If you really want to eliminate the swirls, the PC polisher is the way to go. But sometimes can not fit into everyones budget.

Good luck this weekend. Let us know how you make out and if you need anymore assistance.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the prompt response.

I have heard that applying the wax in a circular motion is inducing swirls and doing the opposite of my intention.

If I apply my products in a linear fashion would that help reduce the amount of swirls and help eliminate what's already there?

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
No matter what product(s) you decide to go with, you always want to use microfiber applicators and premium microfiber towels when applying and removing the swirl remover by hand or machine. Using cheap microfiber or terry towels can actually cause more harm than good.

If you really want to eliminate the swirls, the PC polisher is the way to go. But sometimes can not fit into everyones budget.

Good luck this weekend. Let us know how you make out and if you need anymore assistance.
:agree:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would have certainly recommended Adam's Swirl and Haze remover had you not mentioned that you wanted to buy it at your local store :partyon:

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
I would have certainly recommended Adam's Swirl and Haze remover had you not mentioned that you wanted to buy it at your local store :partyon:
That and my porter cable and neither of my blue vettes have even a hint of a swirl mark.

Sure, there are giant rock chips, a crack in the front nose... etc... but not single swirl mark on the paint. Use good towels! :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
I appreciate the prompt response.

I have heard that applying the wax in a circular motion is inducing swirls and doing the opposite of my intention.

If I apply my products in a linear fashion would that help reduce the amount of swirls and help eliminate what's already there?
Pick up 3M Swirl Mark Remover for dark paint and some good microfiber towels @Pepboys. Fold one into a square, apply the liquid and rub firmly back and forth until the liquid breaks down and keep going until it buffs to a shine. Do one section at a time, your hands and arms will be sore. Another cheap option is to get a kit from Autogeek that contains 3" pads and a arbor for your electric drill, the results can be excellent and faster with less labor. As for applying wax, on black I always put it on and take it off in back and forth motions, I highly recommend Adam's Butter Wax.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Swirls gone today!

Get a Ryobi O.B. ,works ok and is inexpensive plus does not have excessive power to get you in trouble with over buffing. Got mine at Home depot. Just used it with swirl remover on my Torch Red 2000. Swirl remover is a very, very light abrasive compound that will smooth out the clear coat by removing a tiny bit of the coating. Then sealed it with NXT but any quality wax is fine. Use a clay bar on occasion with some glossier to keep surface clean. I had some fine lines due to using Terry cloth towels before I switched over to the new Microfiber kind.

See Y'all
OGC5:buhbye:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts