Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the typical fine scratches in my paint and Z5 isn't getting the job done. Any tips on getting the paint to look like glass and to eliminate the very fine scratches?

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Tim,
I thought I just answered this a couple days ago but can't find the post... oh well. I have the same problem with my black cars so I used 3M polishing compound, 1500 grit for fine scratches. I think th epart number is 03900? I will find out and get back to you. I bought mine at a Miers (sp) store, you may remember them. It should also be available at most Pep Boys or Auto Zone type stores. It even has a picture of a red vette on the label.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bad thing is my buffer is in storage. I wonder if it's even worth shipping since I paid like $30 for it.

Do you foresee any problems using the swirl remover on top of 5-6 coats of Z5?

·
Registered
0 Posts
If it was my car I would 2000 wet sand any heavy scratches first. Then coumpound the whole car with a red cut heavy duty coumpound. Next step is to buff the whole car with a 3-m glaze & waffle sponge pad. Then I would wax the car....Next step is to wash the **** out of it(lots of bullshit white stuff from the wetsand process & buff sneg from buffing)....After washing the car will need a few coats of wax.....The result show looking paint! :thumbsup: :) I plan on doing this to my car in the spring cause I have some **** sinking that the wetsand should go away!:smokin:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
If you use the swirl remover or polishing compound PROPERLY it should cut through the Z5.

If you car was clear coated I would be damn careful with wetsanding and or using any red rubbing compound.

·
Registered
0 Posts
stilcrazee said:
If you use the swirl remover or polishing compound PROPERLY it should cut through the Z5.

If you car was clear coated I would be damn careful with wetsanding and or using any red rubbing compound.
:agree: This is not a job for an amature....A good paint shop can do it for you.....Cost is roughfly $500.00!:surprised I sure am glad I am not an amature!:)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not wet sanding my Vette, not willing to risk it and the paint is only a year old.

I'm going to give the 3M swirl remover a shot, sounds like I should be ok. Just have to check out the prices of a buffer locally. My storage unit is jam packed and I doubt Renee could find mine.

·
Registered
0 Posts
BubbleHead said:
I'm not wet sanding my Vette, not willing to risk it and the paint is only a year old.

I'm going to give the 3M swirl remover a shot, sounds like I should be ok. Just have to check out the prices of a buffer locally. My storage unit is jam packed and I doubt Renee could find mine.
If your paint is only 1 year old you should go to the place that painted it & ask how much clear was applied & if they ever wetsanded it?:huh: My car was wetsanded 4 days after it was painted...I had some gremlens popping out about a year later so I went to the shop that painted it & showed them & they said wet sand it again....We put 3 heavy coats of clear on it!:thumbsup: Good luck whatever you decide to do!:thumbsup: p.s ask Jay 90 383 how much better his car looked after I wet sanded it for him!:)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The shop is about 1700 miles away. I'll just go the swirl remover route. When I picked it up, the paint was perfect, I think the towels, over the past year, are leave fine scratches.

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
BubbleHead said:
The shop is about 1700 miles away. I'll just go the swirl remover route. When I picked it up, the paint was perfect, I think the towels, over the past year, are leave fine scratches.
:agree:

I have the same problem.

Be aware the 39009 is such a mild abrasive that it would take you 100 years to go through your clear coat with a low-speed buffer.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, no dice this weekend, looks like I'll have to order the 3M swirl remover online. Shopping is rather limited here, as I'm finding out.

Any tips for me Jim?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tim, just remember, wet sanding can be your friend!:D I would recommend that you try and use some 2500 grit or even 3000 first and LOTS of water. This will really work. It will make the area look like crap as you do it, as it will leave TONS of light scratches all over the area you just sanded. Do not worry as they WILL come out with some rubbing compound then polishing compound. The truly best way to do it would be with a rotary buffer for the rubbing compound, and then the random orbital for the polish. You might want to try this stuff out as it really does a nice job for what you want to do! http://www.properautocare.com/mengetackit.html

Lastly, DUMP THOSE CHEAP TOWELS!!!!!!:nuts: :spanked: :whip: :rolling:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts