Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rjent, you mentioned replacing my fan clutch clear back last March when I was passing through AZ. Never quite got around to that, but I did end up replacing the water pump once. Now I'm upgrading the whole cooling system and don't want to endanger a fancier pump.

Do I need to replace the clutch? Anybody want to give me the rundown on exactly what it's doing and how it's doing it?

TIA

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...Do I need to replace the clutch?...
Car been running hot for no apparent reason? Bring it up to operating temperature. Have a friend turn the ignition off while you observe the fan. If the fan and clutch continue to windmill more than three revolutions after the engine has stopped, you need a fan clutch.

:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
12,250 Posts
rjent, you mentioned replacing my fan clutch clear back last March when I was passing through AZ. Never quite got around to that, but I did end up replacing the water pump once. Now I'm upgrading the whole cooling system and don't want to endanger a fancier pump.

Do I need to replace the clutch? Anybody want to give me the rundown on exactly what it's doing and how it's doing it?

TIA
Like I have said before and will probably say it again :laughing: replace it. If we replace components regularly on these cars as a method of progressive maintenance, they will never let us down. The fan clutch is pretty cheap, make sure you buy a good one.

If they go bad I have seen them eat radiators.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Fan Clutch

If you can...locate a stock "AX" fan clutch....I got lucky and found one...still in the original Delco box (GM)...it is the one on the right in pic...

Rich

EDIT: The GM part number (Original) was #343721 ....GM has changed to new part nos (8 series)...

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
If you can...locate a stock "AX" fan clutch....I got lucky and found one...still in the original Delco box (GM)...it is the one on the right in pic...

Rich

EDIT: The GM part number (Original) was #343721 ....GM has changed to new part nos (8 series)...
The one I recently purchased looks like your AX, but I can't swear that mine is coded. What I have learned is that there are several different fan clutches for C3s despite the fact they all do essentially the same thing.

:)

·
Registered
237 Posts
The one I recently purchased looks like your AX, but I can't swear that mine is coded. What I have learned is that there are several different fan clutches for C3s despite the fact they all do essentially the same thing.

:)
The "AX" was the biggest for L-82 A/C vettes.....the new replacement GM clutches have different calibrations...I think the new GM replacement is
#88961768-I for the #343721...

Gm Parts Catalog - For Part # 343721 Fan Clutch

74-75 W/a.c. Part # 343721 Clutch, Fan (ax)
76-78 (350) W/sp. H/per. A.c. Part # 343721 Clutch, Fan (ax)
77-79 W/h.d. Rad (v01) Part # 343721 Clutch, Fan (ax)
80-81 W/h.d.c (v08) Part # 343721 Clutch, Fan (ax)

Rich

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I guess I shoul add. When storing a used fan clutch to be reinstalled, store upright as if in the car.:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts