Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my build I replaced the window motors, regulator assemblies, switches, etc so that the windows would hopefully be trouble free for the foreseeable future. I got all the parts from one of the larger and well known Corvette suppliers who shall remain nameless for the time being. Alas, shortly after the warranty period expired the right window motor developed what seems to be a "dead spot". If the window happened to stop where the motor was in this dead spot, I could not roll it up or down. I could remove the door panel, reach in and jiggle the regulator gear or turn the motor just a little bit, it would then operate normally until it stopped on that dead spot again. Nothing is binding, all electrical connections are solid.

I ordered a replacement motor from the same vendor and it seems to be working normally, for the moment anyway. Now, the left window motor has started doing the exact same thing. Again, I can manipulate the regulator gear or turn the motor shaft just a little bit and it will work again.

I suspect the "Made in China" has a lot to do with it. I am glad that there are so many reproduction parts for our C3's, but I have had my share of junk repro parts. These window motors aren't much fun to change either.

I'm reluctant to post the vendor's name here but I have no doubt you would recognize them. If you want to know the name PM me. To be fair, I have bought hundreds of reproduction parts from them and they met or exceeded my expectations. I have received several items that were very substandard upon opening. The vendor returned my money with no hassles. But the motors are a different story, mainly because they are out of warranty. My C3 is a "fair weather flyer" and has never even gotten wet since I finished it about a year and a half ago.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a window motor vendor that sells a quality motor? Would love to score a couple of NOS motors but I'd be shocked if any are around.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
First I have changed out window motors out on several autos. I can say none were easy talk about F bombs. Second go the dealership in your area and have them search their database to see if anyone in the system has new old stock. Sometimes you can find one that way. Be willing to pay won’t be cheap. Down side I was look for the elastic straps for a convertible top and about a half dozen dealerships had them but we’re holding on to them for in house repairs.
There is a website that buys up old stock and they had a hundred sets got pair from them. For the life of me don’t remember the site but I think the dealership here gave the web address. Sorry I could not more help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts