Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
09 base model

1 tire got damaged beyond repair and must be replaced.

problem is the whole set only has about 4k on them and have 8.5/32nds (out of 10/32nds new)

at $300 bux a pop i need some very convincing logic as to why i should replace both rear tires (its the psngr rear)

things that dont count as "convincing logic":

-"your vette is a fine piece of machinery, why skimp on tires?"
-"well, i've always done/last time i did blah blah blah"
-"my best friends moms dads barber heard that someones tires exploded when they did this and everyone died"
-"you dont want uneven traction cuz that could lead to spinouts/burnouts/deathouts/hellouts/painouts" (yeah so could pushing on the gas pedal and turning the wheel a bit ive noticed)

in other words, any actual DATA or REASONING on this topic?

1/32" of an inch on a 23" diameter tire is about 0.2% change in diameter..so total for me it would be about 0.45% difference in diameter. Any difference in traction seems irrelevant given the abuse and wear these tires experience. Seems very unlikely they will have "identical" characteristics for their lifetime anyways.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
For safety reasons, French road regulations stipulate that on a same axle, the difference of wear between two tires has to be less than 5mm.

5mm is .2 inches, in your case you are at 0.04 inches of a difference.

From my perspective, I would just replace the single tire and not be bothered at all.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Shouldn't hurt a thing at all. That difference is negligible. The difference in rotation will be about 1 revolution/mile. That will not cause any clutches in the limited slip to wear at all and no excess heat will be generated by the clutches at that minuscule difference. No worries.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Obviously it depends on the driver. My original set of the GY runflats, that came with my GS, barely lasted 10000 miles. In fact, I didn't realize until they were removed, the fronts were starting to show the cords on the inside edges.

In my case, only "4000 miles" would have been well along on my last set.

Believe me, I know tires are not cheap, but they are critical to keeping your vette under control. I would make damn sure that saving a few hundred dollars is worth it in the long run. Personally, I like knowing that I can always count on my tires being there for me.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Just buy the one tire and forget about it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
:agree:
Just replace the one tire that's been damaged, no need to replace the whole rear set.

·
Registered
475 Posts
why not just replace the whole car! get a ZR1 or Z06....
But seriouly....are they Eagle F1's ? F1's are asymetric so you can rotate side to side which evens the wear on the tread block which will do more to prolong the life. and this will help in the event there is any tread block wear... so.... move the drivers tire to the passenger side, and put the new tire on the drivers side so the tread blocks will wear evenly.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Without other info, I'll assume a few basics:
1) Your the original owner
2) As an '09, you've owned the car for approx 2 years
3) 4K miles on this original set computes to approx 7.5 years
of serviceable life remaining on the other three based at a
burn rate of .75/32d per year

Recommendations:
1) Based on your yearly miles driven and your burn rate, buy 1
tire
2) Have it installed on the passenger side and just roll with a fat chick to compensate for the 1.5/32d height diifference
:rolling:

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could get rid of the diameter difference by having the new replacement tire shaved to the same diameter as the other rear tire. I bet that Tire Rack can do this or any shop that handles race tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts