Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a pretty fresh restoration of ours. The car came out awesome. The paint and bodywork came out right. The 355 with the brodix heads and the cam and the port matched intake manifold came out right. The coilovers and the composite spring and the ride height on the wheels and tires selected came out so right. The viper alarm install with remote start came out right. The vintage air came out right. The exhaust with the 1974 bb tips that let us build 2.5" all the way back sounds great. The interior is awesome, The top and window adjustments couldn't be any better. I mean take a look..

Inside..

And Under the hood..

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And as the title of this thread implies..

With the box open we can see how well the components are packaged..

These are all of the components in the kit we are using..

With the Fast EFI there is a separate controller and harness. All sorts of inputs and outputs to play with. I mean just look at all these wires..

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have already installed this same FAST 2.0 EFI in this 1971:
https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242889
In this 1981:
https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255809
And in this crazy monster truck:
https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252282

And in contrast we have also installed the FiTech EFI on this 1968:
https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263034
FiTech also went into this 502bb powered 1975:
https://www.superchargerforums.com/threads/fitech-bbc-502-solid-axle-c3-corvette.7874/

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Every fuel injection kit that I have ever installed has been with electronic timing control. To me that is the whole advantage to fuel injection is electronic timing control and being able to base that off of coolant temp and intake air temps. So when I installed the FiTech, I locked out the MSD dizzy and setup timing control through the handheld. The FAST controller can not directly drive an ignition coil. There are no fets or anything in this circuit within the controller to handle that kind of load so if we want to use the fast controller for timing control we must add a MSD box and wire the timing output from the FAST controller to the points input on a CDI box like the MSD 6A. Furthermore we will connect the MSD distributor to the crank trigger input of the FAST controller. So we will need to de-pin the MSD connector of the 2P distributor connector because we will need that pigtail..

Then we cut out a mounting plate for the MSD box out of aluminum. drilled some holes, painted it, threw on some hardware, and riveted it to the inside rear of the passenger side fender..

And here the box is installed and wired in..

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We also made a bracket to mount the FAST controller..

And here you can see where we added the pigtail removed from the MSD box to the FAST controller harness..

Now the MSD distributor can plug directly into the FAST controller. And now we just got some light wiring and cleanup..

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now we need to make changes to the fuel supply circuit. With the FiTech unit the regulator was a part of the throttle body and we had 2 lines running from the gas tank all the way to the throttle body. Now that the regulator is separate I can put it where I feel it should be. Close to the gas tank. I am going to mount the regulator and also the fuel pressure sensor where the gas filter is currently mounted..

While those 3 clamps are holding the filter securely I will need to create a more robust mounting solution to hold the adjustable fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure sensor and its manifold. Also this car will not need a filter anymore. The thing about FAST fuel injectors is they don't have filter baskets. and they have large pintles for the higher flowrates for the larger hp applications they are made for and also ethanol. So as a rule of thumb with these larger injectors if it will make it past the sock in the tank it will blow through the injector. And a filter is just a restriction at higher flowrates. So here is the bracket we made and painted and the assembled regulator with pressure sensor..

Here is the new return line just to illustrate how short the return path back to the tank is..

And here is the assembly mounted to the outside rear wall of the interior. almost directly behind the rear interior light fixture..

And now I can set the fuel pressure to 35, 43, 58, or whatever psi I want. adjustments are easily made with the spare tire removed..

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We still have to feed the handheld cable through the firewall and make a few changes to the ignition wires so cylinders 2 and 3 cross over on top of the cap instead of underneath. This needs to be done to keep the ignition wires away from the harness of the fast controller so as to prevent electrical noise. But aside from that we should be starting this up real soon. Here is our progress so far..

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,446 Posts
Awesome job and kudos to whoever did the bodywork. It looks flawless

Reactions: autowiz

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The last step of this is to mount the controller. And speaking of controllers I just wanted to show a side by side of the two handhelds. FiTech vs. FAST..

Powered up here is the home screen of the FAST controller..

FAST really has the software setup right. Once the hardware is in place and ready setting up the timing curve / ignition map is easy..

And under the hood with the engine running we can see all the status LED's on the FAST ECU. These LED's help with diagnostics along with the handheld. There are just so many paths to finding out what is wrong should things not go right with the FAST controller..

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome job and kudos to whoever did the bodywork. It looks flawless
Here are a few pictures of how we received this car. We removed the hood. But those tires sure do say a lot about how long it has been since this machine saw the road..

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This 1971 is done and ready for delivery. I have put a bunch of miles on this car myself and couldn't be any happier with the end result..

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Turned out Nice Wiz.
They had that Vette stored somewhere dry since 1973 -1978.
Steel Belted Radial Tires 1st appeared on the 1973 Trans Am stock.
Can You believe the L88 Powered Corvettes Ran 10's on the exact same Polyglass Tires ?
The Pontiac F.A.S.T. Guys did the same with stock polyglass reproduction tires. Ran 11's & High 10's with the Pontiac V8 100 percent bone stock.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know about your f.a.s.t.

Factory Appearing Stock Tires is a great way to go racing your vintage car. But idk about 10's. Especially out of a stock L88 on them stock tires. I'm around these cars a lot. I mean, and lets just be real here, just for a second, if a car left a factory to be sold to the general public that did 10's right out of the box, don't you think that would set the bar for each auto manufacturer to match or beat from that year on? Or do you really think that a fistful of decades later we still cant catch that?

Here is some slightly more accurate info about the L88 power in its stock form on them old tires..

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1420209-bone-stock-l88-zl1-1-4-mile-times.html

http://www.superchevy.com/features/corp-0906-1969-chevrolet-corvette/

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2014/06/26/video-rare-1969-427-l88-corvette-14-mile-drag-race/

I think just barely dipping below the 12's is what you really meant. And as per the first article the fastest stock muscle car behind it, the previous title holder was 12.2.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I know about your f.a.s.t.

Factory Appearing Stock Tires is a great way to go racing your vintage car. But idk about 10's. Especially out of a stock L88 on them stock tires. I'm around these cars a lot. I mean, and lets just be real here, just for a second, if a car left a factory to be sold to the general public that did 10's right out of the box, don't you think that would set the bar for each auto manufacturer to match or beat from that year on? Or do you really think that a fistful of decades later we still cant catch that?

Here is some slightly more accurate info about the L88 power in its stock form on them old tires..

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1420209-bone-stock-l88-zl1-1-4-mile-times.html

http://www.superchevy.com/features/corp-0906-1969-chevrolet-corvette/

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2014/06/26/video-rare-1969-427-l88-corvette-14-mile-drag-race/

I think just barely dipping below the 12's is what you really meant. And as per the first article the fastest stock muscle car behind it, the previous title holder was 12.2.

You need to stop reading those articles & taking them all as holy grail truth.
Just 1 or 2 of those guys were actually Road Racers & Drag racers.
Professional drivers testing they were not.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the 1971 is incredible. It feels like it makes more power, It runs better and keeps getting better the longer we drive it. Exactly as should be expected from FAST. And now we get to turn our focus to the other fitech install that has to go..

I worked really hard to make all this right. And I didn't want to accept a bad controller and continued with diagnoses and repairs assuming the fuel system I installed was solid and it was my job installing or setting up all the way until I started seeing the crazy rpm numbers on the handheld. This is how my install landed..

There was just so much extra that I did here to make all this work. Because 6an fittings actually have a smaller than 3/8 i.d. we switched the fitting on the FiTech unit itself with a larger id 8an fitting and ran the appropriate line..

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This car has a small fuel cell in the rear that will not allow for an in-tank pump and from the carb setup there is a low pressure Holley pump under the car. So when the FiTech went in we also installed a 'G-surge' unit. Which is a little sump that mounts up front with the engine or wherever and has it's own high pressure pump inside. These pumps have been problematic for FiTech as any searching anywhere on this here internet will reveal, but I worked real hard to make sure it had good flow to and from the tank and to and from the t.b. and while we are switching this to FAST we might likely keep this G-surge tank and pump. We are happy with our fuel supply setup here. It is the delivery that is being a b*tch..

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The FAST kit is here and ready for installation. This Corvette is about to become awesome..

First up we must mount the controller. I need to make a bracket to mount the FAST controller to the inner fender above and behind the G-surge unit. For this I will first draw out what I want in 2D on a sheet of steel..

Then I will cut out my bracket and drill some holes..

Then I make 3 careful bends, drill one more hole, and mount what is to be the ground stud to hold my bracket together..

With a little bit of primer and flat black paint and the controller mounted this is ready to be mounted to the vehicle..

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok so here we are done with the installation and ready for initial startup..

The F.A.S.T. kit comes with a fuel pressure sensor and we got a regulator from them to go with the specific kit we are using for this 502 BB Racecar. Fuel pressure will be set to 43psi..

Professional Aftermarket Fuel Injection..

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so we made one last minute change. We dumped the fitech g surge tank and it's pump along with the low pressure holley pump in the rear of the car and the plastic fuel cell. We replaced the fuel supply with a 15 gallon Aeromotive fuel cell with a stealth340 pump mounted inside. The car came out awesome and on its way out I took some pictures..

We are also about to install this same FAST fuel injection in a 1981. But I will start a new thread for that as it is not a conversion from FiTech. We have done a handful of these fast fuel injection installs on c3's at this point. Aside from the two in this thread we installed FAST in a 1981 here: https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255809
And in a 1971 here: https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242889
And every one is a hit every time. FAST makes us look good and our customers happy. And it's made in the USA.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts