Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking a road trip to Arizona in a couple of weeks and my front tires with 21k miles don't look up to the task. I tried to order some new Goodyear runflats exactly like the old ones and they seem to be unavailable in my area. I went ahead and ordered a couple of Michelin runflats to replace them. The owners manual says to replace all tires at once, but my rear tires look like 80% tread. Any problems mixing these tires? I don't plan on any high-G activity. :laughing:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm taking a road trip to Arizona in a couple of weeks and my front tires with 21k miles don't look up to the task. I tried to order some new Goodyear runflats exactly like the old ones and they seem to be unavailable in my area. I went ahead and ordered a couple of Michelin runflats to replace them. The owners manual says to replace all tires at once, but my rear tires look like 80% tread. Any problems mixing these tires? I don't plan on any high-G activity. :laughing:
You should probably be OK. However, you would be amazed at how much better the Michelins are if you had the whole set. I ended up with the Michelins after I ruined 2 tires on a pothole. The GY supercar tires wore out anyway so it was a good time to replace them. I ordered and tried a set of Hankooks which were good grip wise and OK all around but were not run flats. I thought about what would happen if I got a flat and ran through the various scenarios and decided to take them off and buy a set of run flat tires. I went with the Michelins and I am completely glad I did. You'll be very happy with them.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you look into ordering them online ?

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=203509&InfoID=4278&ShowLarge=True

I run BF goodrich

Made in America
I didn't want to be in a time crunch since I am leaving in about 10 days. By ordering them locally, I can be sure I will get them on this weekend. Otherwise, I would have done a more comprehensive search for the Goodyears. I see a lot of complaints on DC about them, but they have been fine for me. On the other hand, I have heard so many good things about the Michelins, I just thought I would take the first step in changing over. I just wasn't up to the $900 or so it would take to replace the rear tires when the ones I have look nearly new.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I didn't want to be in a time crunch since I am leaving in about 10 days. By ordering them locally, I can be sure I will get them on this weekend. Otherwise, I would have done a more comprehensive search for the Goodyears. I see a lot of complaints on DC about them, but they have been fine for me. On the other hand, I have heard so many good things about the Michelins, I just thought I would take the first step in changing over. I just wasn't up to the $900 or so it would take to replace the rear tires when the ones I have look nearly new.
Just for fun see what Sears has to offer

Sometimes I'm surprised at what I find there :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We put Michelins on our C5 and they are made in USA as well. They were also cheaper than the GY's.
The quote on these Michelins was about $10 cheaper than the Goodyears. Mainly, they were available which is what I needed. :thumbsup:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Personally, I hate Michelins.... had three cars that came with them from the factory and they all sucked. Anyway, I get all my tires from discounttiredirect.com. Great prices, free shipping, and they have a warehouse right in Texas. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally, I hate Michelins.... had three cars that came with them from the factory and they all sucked. Anyway, I get all my tires from discounttiredirect.com. Great prices, free shipping, and they have a warehouse right in Texas. :thumbsup:
Discount tire is where I went. None of their warehouses had them, and they said the Goodyear warehouse in East Texas (?) was out and didn't know when they would be getting them. They checked as far away as San Antonio with no luck. Anyway, my time pressure caused me to switch. I was at a local Corvette show about a month ago and talked to two guys who had switched to the Michelin runflats, and they thought they were softer and quieter than the Goodyears. That also played in my decision.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Discount tire is where I went. None of their warehouses had them, and they said the Goodyear warehouse in East Texas (?) was out and didn't know when they would be getting them. They checked as far away as San Antonio with no luck. Anyway, my time pressure caused me to switch. I was at a local Corvette show about a month ago and talked to two guys who had switched to the Michelin runflats, and they thought they were softer and quieter than the Goodyears. That also played in my decision.
Did you use discount tire or discount tire direct? Two different companies. Direct is better I have found.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you use discount tire or discount tire direct? Two different companies. Direct is better I have found.
It was a local Discount Tire dealer. I have probably bought 20+ sets of tires through them over the last 20 years with no complaints. I just haven't ever felt the need to buy online. I probably don't always get the very best deal, but - until this time - it has always been a decent deal with quick in and out.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd be interested to know the noise difference between the different types of tires.
I'm not sure I will be able to tell by just replacing the front. But, like I said, I talked to two guys who had put these same tires front and back on their C6's and they both claimed the tires felt "softer" and were quieter than the Goodyears.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
For comparison I had new Michilin PS2 runflats on the front of my 01 vert and GY runcraps with 30% on the rear when I hydroplaned and crashed. Not a pleasant experience. I will never vonutarily put GYs on any vehicle again

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'd be interested to know the noise difference between the different types of tires.
Night and day... There is no comparison between the GY and the Michelins. The Michelins are superior in all counts except *maybe* (emphasis on maybe) dry summer performance. To be honest I don't think the GY's are better for that than the Michelins, at least for my driving style. I enjoy carving the mountain roads in N. GA, N.C. and TN, although I'm not a race driver and do not track my car. I do not make money on Michelins and do not sell them, but I will definitely recommend them for any road driven Corvette. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
212 Posts
For comparison I had new Michilin PS2 runflats on the front of my 01 vert and GY runcraps with 30% on the rear when I hydroplaned and crashed. Not a pleasant experience. I will never vonutarily put GYs on any vehicle again
I absolutely can see that happening. I'm sorry it happened to you, but the GY are scary in the rain even when new. The Michelins will allow you to drive in the rain almost as fast as you can in the dry roads. If you mix them in wet roads, it's a recipe for disaster. :down:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts