Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in the Motor trend test of the 08s that recommended ditching the run flats...has anyone done this? I have AAA so I guess I am covered if I get a flat, but then I am at the mercy of the AAA wrecker that they send...

What is the best replacement tire for daily driverish use and then hitting the twistys on the weekends?

A

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have replaced tires on two C5s, but never a C6...yet. I chose the Nitto 555 extremes for both C5s, and was very happy with each car. Security is an issue, but the improved handling, wear characteristics, and costs of the non-runflats was enough to sway me.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I have had Bridgestone RE05as and now have Yokohama Advin Competetion (Med/Hard compund) on 18" rims front and back. I also ran GY GSD3 non run flats on the front with the GY F1 RFs 325s on the rear.

The car is much more responsive with competetion tires.

Changing to the GSD3s on the front cured my understeer.

If you do a lot of long trips and stick with the 19" rears, RFs are a good idea because 19" tires are harder to find than 18s.

:cheers:

:cheers:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just think how close your rims are to the pavement? It would only take a nail to ruin your expensive wheels

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you're frequently at the track, it's not unusual to consider performance tires of the non-run-flat variety.

I'm not a track maven. My car does a lot of long-distance touring, and the run-flats provide a great deal of confidence while on the road.

It's actually kinda interesting to read how run-flats are constructed. And the wireless tire-pressure monitoring system in the Corvette is brilliant. If you have OnStar installed, tire pressures are also reported in the monthly email that you receive regarding your car's diagnostics.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Just replaced mine at 23,000 with GY SC EMT's. The Firestone EMT's havnt been out long enough for anyone to say how they'll be after getting 10-15,000 miles on them. Only thing anyone can talk about with with any knowledge is price. Then everyone is having a hard time finding the FS's, their being told they're back ordered two months. I think sticking with OEM run-flats at this point in the game is the way to go for peace of mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts